Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: It\'s that time again...* *November Goals Thread**

Alright, guess i'll explain my situation a bit more.

If i wasn't playing poker, school would not magically become more of a priority to me. I would be doing something else (something less productive, probably).

What's the reason people go to shool? A) To learn B) To impress Grad. Schools C) To put on Resume.

Ok, now i dont want to go to Grad school, and I don't want to work for someone else. Now that sounds silly because no one wants to work for someone else, but I really think i can get by/be successful on my own. I'm not convinced about how i'm going to do it, but i'm motivated by my hatred of school, to figure it out.

(That said, i do see a point in individual classes, like, if i needed to learn Accounting, i'd go and take the class, it's the whole 'degree' [censored], and 4 years of classes i could care less about that i have a problem with )
Old 11-07-2005, 01:47 PM

I'm with ya Ex, I went to college for 2 years, and got severely burned out on it. I liked some of the classes, but some of the classes bored me to death, and I felt like it wasn't relevant to what I wanted to do anyways. Eventually I'll get some sort of degree I guess, and might go back to take a few good classes here or there, but at this point in my life, I don't really need a college degree. I got a decent paying job with awesome benefits, and days off to do whatever I want. I don't have the right job to attack the tournaments every nite (fridays and saturdays and early sunday are my only tourney times now, although I toss in a 7pm or earlier every now and then, if I get deep, I just go without a little sleep).

College is so easy to burn out on if you take a full load (like I was) I bet going at a slower pace would be alot better.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:50 PM

Exit: I just think that school helps you think better. I know that I'm a much smarter person for having been in college for 1.5 years now, and am damn proud of it. I just hate the idea of throwing away the opportunity to be surrounded by tons of really smart people who want to talk to you. I agree that the subject matter often blows (try different subjects?), but the way in which things are discussed at school impresses me.

Please don't make this decision hastily, as it's really hard to reverse and a pretty big deal.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:23 PM

i'm not doing it this instant, i'm probably going to finish this and next semester... but i've been at college as long as you have, and i dont think i'm any better for it (except for the social situations i was in, but thats nothing i cant get away from college).
Old 11-07-2005, 03:31 PM

I just graduated from UCSB and I hated school more than probably anyone else at the school...however, I knew it was still important for me to get a degree. Besides, all you are doing is going to school, mine as well stay in school and just play poker when your not studying. Its a lot better than getting a real job and playing poker isnt it? I mean if you want to you can sleep through class as you please. Can do that if your working part time. My suggestion is to take advantage of your time you have now to JUST go to school and have fun. Work sucks no matter how you look at it. I would delay getting a real job as long as you can and suck it up in the mean time. Trust me you will no what I mean when all is said and done.