Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2003, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Sunglasses at the table

I don't wear sunglasses for 3 specific reasons:

1) Tells are hugely overrated in importance at limit
2) You can't see my eyes anyway
3) If I'm looking at you, I want you to know it.

Besides, you can see more by *not* looking directly at someone.

I wonder if the act of wearing sunglasses changes my image from a casual player to a tight professional serious player.

Why would you want to do this? Wouldn't you rather they think you're just there for a good time?
Old 10-26-2003, 07:42 PM

As the owner of the company which makes most of the world's Rx polarized sunglass lens, I would like to give my unbiased opinion that Sunglasses, particularly Rx polarized sunglasses are ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL towards winning poker. I may not be an expert in poker, but I certainly am in sunglasses. In fact, I am probably, modestly, the David Sklansky, of sunglasses. To properly use sunglasses at the table, I suggest:

1. Only use expensive sunwear. Cheap sunglasses do not help your game, they only hurt it. People know that if you are not willing to spend money on suglasses, you obviously on not willing to spend money to defend your hand.

2. You should only wear each pair of these expensive sunglasses once. People notice that if you are too cheap to only have one pair of sunglasses, you probably play to weak-tight.

3. Make sure you have expensive mirror and Anti-reflection coatings put on the lenses. These are absolutly essential for winning play, and to boost your self-confidence.

4. Make sure all your family members have expensive sunwear. This way you can rest easy that your family is protected from UV rays, and you can concentrate on your game.

5. Basically, the same applies to those who only wear clear lenses also. The same rules apply. The fact that I also manufacture those types of lenses also does not influence my feelings on this.

In conclusion, if you want to waste you money on books, videos, teachers, or anything else to learn poker, okay, go ahead and waste it. If you really want to win at poker, I believe the real answer is your sunwear and eyewear.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:10 PM

You nailed that Dynasty. I was trying to be nice. I meant to say exactly what you said. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've only been to vegas once, and I was playing 4-8 at Bellagio when a young guy (I'm young too), prolly 25ish sat down with a cap pulled low and dark sunglasses and a couple flashy gold chains and it was all I could do to not burst out laughing. ROUNDER!!!!!
Old 10-26-2003, 09:44 PM

Default OT...time for a new Klingon curse! n/m

Old 10-27-2003, 01:40 AM

lol...you had me for the first two. Funny post.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:51 AM

Default But have you gone to see what his other 18 posts are? n/m

Old 10-27-2003, 09:22 AM

I use them mostly to keep other players from noticing that I am staring at them, your second reason for wearing them.

There are some situations where I suppose your image might change because of wearing glasses, but only when the players are very unknowledgable already. If it's causing an otherwise good game to tighten up (a rarity), be playful with them. Don't wear them all the time, sometimes wear them on your nose or head when not involved in a hand (or when involved in a no-brainer hand), etc. Tell them you're trying to be like those guys on TV. Being friendly will quickly overcome those silly stereotypes.

Seriously tho, RED lenses SUCK. They make hearts look like diamonds.

al
Old 10-27-2003, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't be so nice. It makes them look like idiots and they usually play just as idiotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't wear sunglasses at the table yet, but it is funny when I see some fool trying to look all serious with them on at $2-4.

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't you rather they think you're just there for a good time?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I would, KoM, that's why I posted this.

Overall I tend to have a problem with image. Sometimes after not playing a hand out of the blinds for a couple hours, people tend to label me as tight for some reason.

Any ideas on how to loosen up my image to a loose gambler while still playing a very tight aggressive game? How about a crazy hat? Everyone love's crazy hats.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:26 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Yes I would, KoM,...

[/ QUOTE ]

don't you mean K,SoM?
Old 10-27-2003, 12:07 PM

Nothing is wrong with sunglasses if you like them, or if they make you feel more comfortable at the table. Personally I wear them sometimes and sometimes I dont, I think I may actually do better when I dont have them on, as I seem to have an honest look to me and my regular eyeglasses enhance that image. I find this to be better for me as I am very frequently trying to make a "believer" out of someone. In turn when I wear the sunglasses I feel like people may more see me as a wannabe pro/hustler and defend their hands more often