Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Strange betting pattern....

Do you think that this player can bluff check-raise you with anything that you beat given the board and the action?
FWIW I don't mind how you played and I use a similar line sometimes but for this particular hand I prefer the turn bet-fold as a standard line
Old 11-06-2005, 10:45 AM

Posting blind.

If you check the turn, I think you should just call the river or bet/fold the river.

Otherwise, you can bet the turn, and if called, check behind the river. Or lastly, check turn and just call river.

But I really don't see you ahead once raised on that river.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Posting blind.

If you check the turn, I think you should just call the river or bet/fold the river.

Otherwise, you can bet the turn, and if called, check behind the river. Or lastly, check turn and just call river.

But I really don't see you ahead once raised on that river.

[/ QUOTE ]
What kind of hands can you put villain on when he raises the river?
Old 11-06-2005, 12:50 PM

Villain's stats make him out to be very passive, correct? So I assume that a river raise means he's got at least a pair of Kings, and probably better.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:08 PM

An aggro villain can make a c/r with a wide range of hands since he smells weakness, so a bet/call would be in order. I think against this player u got an easy bet/fold.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather bet/fold the turn, but, your turn check opened you up to getting bluffed on the river possibly. I think that if you are gonna check the turn then you should be checking the river also

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesn't bet/folding the turn open you up to more of a bluff? If you check the turn, you can call the same single bet on the river and see a showdown. I don't plan on folding once I check the turn, so I will be picking off any bluffs. One of the best ways to use position to our advantage is to check behind sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I check behind often here too. I played in a hand much similar to this and villain cr'ed a pair of 9s or 8s that he thought was good. The way you played the hand, it looks like you have a mid pair or that you're on a total bluff. so villain might actually cr on a value bluff. there aren't too many opponents that check an ace on the river here. perhaps a king, but even those would not usually cr. you have to call, if for nothing else, for future reference on how to play this opponent -- as this is strange.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:39 PM

I like the check, and I think this is a perfect spot to induce a bluff/ increase liklihood of getting paid off on river.
If villian has less than A or K we will very likely lose him on the turn. On this turn we are pretty far ahead or way way behind. If our hand is best we bet and lose him when we wanted him to stay, if our hand is worse we still only pay one bet to show our hand down. In addition, he may bluff river with hand he would not have called turn or river with, will be more likely to pay off with a worse hand with our weird turn check (pair of 9's, pp), and we get to draw to our unlikely 2 outer.

Edit: oh, I think you need to bet when checked to and fold to a c/r against a non-maniac. In my experience, a 5/10 non-maniac river c/r can beat top pair 9/10 times. With third pair I don't think you're call is +ev. Yes, it was weird and my curiosity might get the better of me here too but I don't think its right to call.