Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Time to preserve chips or do you still gamble it up?

Lets say your playing a $10 rebuy or a cheap turbo sat on stars, your the type of player who's willing to rebuy often in the hope of building a decent size stack.

The tourney is about half way thru the rebuy period and you have built up a decent stack, lets say 10-12K.

The table in general are gambling it up and there are several other medium sized stacks at the table and its basically a shove fest pre flop, however you have everyone covered by at least 2-1.

So the question, at what point do you restart applying the math? lets say you face 3 all ins on your BB, you look down at AK, what odds do you need to call here, or are you going to preserve your stack where you can use it to more effect AFTER the rebuy period? Do you continue to call with marginal situations ( no I'm not talking about folding AA or KK here! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ) like AK or do you save it for later.

If you are folding AK when your getting roughly 3-1 preflop but its for half your chips and against 3 or more players what ARE you calling with.

Thanks in advance [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Time to preserve chips or do you still gamble it up?

I'm definately one to slow down once I have 4x my starting chips (counting rebuy). At 3,000 I'll get all in with any number of hands, at 12k, I'm much more selective.

In answer to the example you gave, it would depend on the villains' stacks. If they're all at 3k, I'd probably take the bet. So I drop to 9k. Not the end of the world. If one they can do some real damage (and are the third one in!), I'll think. If they're all big like me, muckoramma.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:24 PM

I'm talking about losing about 50% of you chips if your AK loses, effectivly putting you back into the 'time to gamble' crowd.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm definately one to slow down once I have 4x my starting chips (counting rebuy). At 3,000 I'll get all in with any number of hands, at 12k, I'm much more selective.

In answer to the example you gave, it would depend on the villains' stacks. If they're all at 3k, I'd probably take the bet. So I drop to 9k. Not the end of the world. If one they can do some real damage (and are the third one in!), I'll think. If they're all big like me, muckoramma.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 11-04-2005, 02:20 PM

I would most definately call with AK here. I think my range would be QQ+ and AQ+. JJ would be a 50% fold 50% call depending on my mood [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Even if there are three pushers you may still have 2 live card in your AK since more than often you will see A8+,22+broadway and suited connectors. Sometimes even worse than that. I'd definately call trying to build an even nicer stack. I can't let go of AK in a rebuy.

EDIT: You may also catch a nice amount of chips in a sid pot.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:21 PM

Good question. I dont have answers but more questions relating to your topic, hopefully it isnt a thread hijack...

At what size does your stack have to be to stop gambooling it up? When does the risk of losing chips override the risk of winning them? Are you taking 60 40 flips for 3/4 your stack? all of it? 1/2 ?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:55 PM

I still play fairly loose, and still get involved when my pot equity is right.

I think the AK is an insta-call given the general looseness of the play during this time.

Ever finish the re-buy period with $40K?

Good times.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-04-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ever finish the re-buy period with $40K?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and I didn't make the money. Lowest point of my poker career, and that's really saying something. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]