Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: any 2 can win...

Grunching

The preflop call is probably o.k. given your huge odds and your relative postion to the bettor. On the flop you may have the best hand but I think I kind of like a check/call here. If you bet and are raised the field is still getting good odds to call with overcards and you could be behind to a bigger pp or a 4. I think you may have more than just two outs however. If no one has a pp or 4 you could count the 2 fours as outs. The three 6's are a bit trickier. While you will improve your hand by hitting a 6 you won't have gained over anyone (with the exception of 55) so I don't think you can call those outs. However, if you do hit one then you have increased your redraws on the river as a 3,4 or 6 will improve you to a boat. You also have a weak bd 1 card strt draw that's hardly worth mentioning. I would estimate give yourself 1 out for the 4's and 2 for the 3's. The 6's are negligible. You're getting about 17:1 to call with about 3 outs. I would peel one off here.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a point where you would call 1 raise from the big blind with literally any 2 cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

This hand isn't quite there, but it's getting close.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you need to be thinking about reverse implied odds. with a hand as weak as 3 6, even when you do catch a piece of the flop you're likely to have a second best hand. even if you do have the best hand you're likely to get outdrawn.

given that you did call, you need to be betting this flop. it's standard hand protection. you want to fold as many overcards as possible. it would be great if UTG raises you with AK or something. given that the bet comes from your immediate left, c/ring this flop does not protect your hand - do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right about pf. I wasn't sure about it but your reasoning makes sense. The only reason that I thought it may be right in a situation like this is that you have such a large pot and you're to the raiser's immediate right. I figured the odds of floppping trips or 2 pair might offset this.

However, I disagree about betting this flop. If you bet and UTG raises, you're giving everyone behind him 8:1 odds to call. Anyone with overcards is not making a mistake by calling this raise. Also, with this board almost everyone probably has overcards and if they have something like A2 or A5 they've got a gutshot to go with there lone overcard.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you need to be thinking about reverse implied odds. with a hand as weak as 3 6, even when you do catch a piece of the flop you're likely to have a second best hand. even if you do have the best hand you're likely to get outdrawn.

given that you did call, you need to be betting this flop. it's standard hand protection. you want to fold as many overcards as possible. it would be great if UTG raises you with AK or something. given that the bet comes from your immediate left, c/ring this flop does not protect your hand - do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right about pf. I wasn't sure about it but your reasoning makes sense. The only reason that I thought it may be right in a situation like this is that you have such a large pot and you're to the raiser's immediate right. I figured the odds of floppping trips or 2 pair might offset this.

However, I disagree about betting this flop. If you bet and UTG raises, you're giving everyone behind him 8:1 odds to call. Anyone with overcards is not making a mistake by calling this raise. Also, with this board almost everyone probably has overcards and if they have something like A2 or A5 they've got a gutshot to go with there lone overcard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of people will fold their overcards if we bet and UTG raises (they might or might not be folding incorrectly depending if UTG has something like AK/99 or something like KK/AA)

EDIT: Looking at read of the table I am probably wrong and people are unlikely to fold. A lot of the time they will though, and especially if villian is LAG, I like leading the flop if I think he will raise overcards and people will fold incorrectly.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
given that the bet comes from your immediate left, c/ring this flop does not protect your hand - do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes in that situation a check raise is clearly not for hand protection because everyone has already thrown in a bet and will just call another.

Initially I wasn't planning on continuing in the hand unless I hit the flop harder than just pairing one of the two cards -- I hadn't thought about what I was going to do if I just paired one of them, especially the situation where the board was also paired with very low cards meaning I quite possibly had the best hand and something worth protecting.

If I flopped trips or even an OESD I recognized I was in great position to check raise the field for 1 more given that UTG was almost certain to open and get several callers.

So, both of the two flop options I had planned for (C/F, C/R) started with a check on the flop. When I followed through and checked I was a little lost but reverted to treating it as a 2 out draw where I think I probably had the implied odds to just call...