Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2003, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Shot my load too soon?

Looking back, I kinda think calling the flop bets cold and raising on the turn might have been the better move

How about the most obvious mistake of all, limping with the best hand?

If you limped because you know the player with the button will always raise, then that I can agree with. I do not agree with your preflop call here.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:53 AM

This reminds me of a hand I played last night where I payed off 6's full of As with my 6's full of Ks. The AA limped in on me after I raised pre-flop and I towered his stacks with my capping.

- Groove
Old 10-24-2003, 11:54 AM

I just don't think it's that bad a play.

Correct, you made an atrocious play [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2003, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Why I didn\'t raise preflop

I'm fairly certain that the EV from pocket aces is larger than the blinds, even at a 5-handed table, and especially at a Party $5/$10 6-max table, where people will overplay their hands and bluff until there's no tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:00 PM

Default Results

SB folded to the 3-bet, BB called. I bet out on the turn and BB folded.

I realize that I will only draw further criticism for being results-oriented here, but one benefit to limping in with AA is that people will bluff at you if you show weakness, as happened here.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Why I didn\'t raise preflop

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm getting away from limping in with AA, but I thought the circumstances were right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just blowed away by that statement in itself, this is a great example of why not to, you just let BB beat you with Q6o etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

im in disbelief as well.... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2003, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
SB folded to the 3-bet, BB called. I bet out on the turn and BB folded.

I realize that I will only draw further criticism for being results-oriented here, but one benefit to limping in with AA is that people will bluff at you if you show weakness, as happened here.

[/ QUOTE ]

whatever dude, yer high
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2003, 01:23 PM

Calling in late position short handed with AA means .. well .. I'll be nice...

You are correct: you are either way ahead or way behind. If you are way ahead you WANT the SB calling. If you are way behind you do NOT want to maximize your loss. If you are way ahead you WANT to disguise your hand so they hopefully check and call you down later. 3-betting lets them fold their paltry pairs cheaply; the very hands you WANT to play against (2 outers).

3-betting only makes sense if it WILL stop them in their tracks such that you don't have to invest any more in the hand.

Try this: play an entire hour, lets say tomarrow between 8pm and 9pm, without playing a single hand "tricky".

- Louie
Old 10-24-2003, 01:40 PM

Default What about Abdul?

I'm sorry to be so stubborn about this; still learning here.

http://posev.com/poker/holdem/strate...lop-abdul.html

When opening in tight games in any position or loose games in late position, your attention should be on getting heads up with a blind or outright stealing the blinds. Most hands are worth less than the blinds and so for most hands stealing the blinds is a coup; hence, raising is correct for most hands. AA is worth about four times the blinds if it gets some action, so stealing the blinds with it and your other very strong hands is a major disaster. Without other concerns, in a tight game you should raise with marginal hands, and limp (and usually reraise if raised) with your strongest hands.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:58 PM

Default Re: What about Abdul?

Glad you mentioned Abdul. In general, I like his preflop advice. I'm not quite as fond of the open limp with AA as he is, but I think it is sometimes correct. I don't think your limp was as horrible as many here do. I generally would only limp with AA first in on the button if the blinds had been folding pretty frequently to my late position open raises, or if I was pretty sure one of the blinds would raise if i limp. My default play would be to raise. The benefits of limping are avoiding stealing the blinds and deception. The disadvantages are the risk that someone who would have folded to your raise will get a miracle card and beat you, and that you may not get as much money in the pot as you would with a raise.