Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Re: 1st vegas poker trip happening in 10 days.... any potential pitfalls?

I posted a Vegas trip report a couple of days ago. My conclusion was that a visit to Ballys was paramount for the low buy-in NLHE player.

The players are extremely poor. If you are patient---which most rocks are---you will take down some nice pots.

As for comparing it to your local "underground" game, well that is only possible if we played at your game. If I compare the Vegas cardrooms to my local $1/$2 game and/or playing on-line, I come to these conclusion:
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] My local game is WAY tighter, less aggressive post-flop and all-around more difficult. I'm sure you will feel the same after your trip.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] On-line has better players, mostly, but you will find the same level of aggression in Vegas. People like to push their chips all-in, and some like to call all-ins, almost regardless of the potential strength of their opponent's hand.
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Players at these cardrooms rarely paid attention to pot odds---whether calling on a draw or trying to price out (by betting, raising) those who were drawing.
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Like at your local games, there will be one or two guys who will try to intimidate everyone at the table with aggressiveness. Invariably, these players will get paid off with their monster hands when frustrated players decide to fight back. (Don't fall for the trap. Play solid. Play your game, not theirs.)

All of these things might seem obvious, but hopefully you will find it helpful.

Have a good time. Post a report when you get back.