Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 07:30 AM

Default Stupid River Fold? JJ - 200NL

The game is full ring 200NL on Paradise. Villain seems to be a reasonably solid player, has done nothing out of the ordinary for the 50 or so hands I've witnessed.

Comments on all streets appreciated.

Hero $250 (UTG+2)
Villain $230 (MP)

1 ($2) limper, Hero makes it $7 w/J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and 3 cold-callers in MP including villain. Limper folds.

Flop: ($33): J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets $26. Only villain calls.

Turn: ($85): 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets $60, villain raises to $120, Hero calls.

River ($325): T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks, villain bets $77 allin.... and I'm only beating a set. Should have I made a crying call here? (surely pushing on the turn would have been superior to calling on the river).

Thanks in advance!!

Ojo_Rojo
Old 11-03-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Stupid River Fold? JJ - 200NL

Going with your line, its hard to fold the river, because the pot is so big. You'd be paying $77, to win 400, giving you about 5.5:1 to call. Do you win enough to justify that? I don't really think so.

Given stack sizes, I push the turn. Even if he has a straight, or a flush, you still have 10 outs to beat him.

If stack sizes were different, you could block the river (betting a smallish amount, folding to a reraise)...but its not really possible with the amount of money you have left.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:53 AM

I only think its a stupid river fold due to the bad preflop...

I think raising PF to 10 or 12 would have limited the action u recieved...

A bigger bet on flop...and pushing turn would have accomplished what has happened by the river and been less painful...

The fact he min-raised you on turn shows to me that he has a made hand IMO...pushing here as already mentioned would have been your best action...with stacks as they are .... PF is what let you down...
Old 11-03-2005, 10:33 AM

it might be a bad fold...his action on the turn makes me think he has two pair or a set he's protecting...maybe the straight...if he has two pair or a set he likely doesn't have a flush either....pot is so big I think I call here and pray.