Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 11:17 PM

Default any tips with this hand?

hi all. first time posting in NL forums. I hope to learn a lot from everyone. Here's a funny hand. I was pissing the whole table off because i was raising everyone's blinds and about 80% of the time i would take it. the table was playing scared poker. the opponent seems to be a decent player. Please critique this hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB ($341.60)
BB ($391)
Hero ($855.70)
MP ($523)
Button ($131.20)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $8.

Flop: ($26) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $30</font>, Hero calls $15.

Turn: ($86) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Old 11-02-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Re: any tips with this hand?

Fold to flop CR. You're beat, and possibly drawing dead or VERY thin.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:29 PM

You might be ahead here on the turn. Have you seen Villian min-raise before, if so, what does this entail? I dunno, he might just have an overpair or even 55,66,77.

You lose to a flush and A8 and you have position. Shouldn't you include what villian did on the turn?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:35 PM

ok let me add the turn in.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB ($341.60)
BB ($391)
Hero ($855.70)
MP ($523)
Button ($131.20)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $8.

Flop: ($26) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $30</font>, Hero calls $15.

Turn: ($86) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, BB calls $20.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:14 AM

I think you're ahead here, given the situation, reads, and table image. I think the villain was trying to steal your continuation bet and wasnt wise enough to raise more than a minraise (I don't mind calling the minraise here, if for nothing more than table image. You don't want people to think they can steal pots from you with minraises)
As such, i think he likely has a mid pocket pair, Ax, or perhaps just some random high cards. A flush draw is also a possibility, but check-calling the small turn bet seems a pretty weak play for that.

As far as river play goes, i'd be content to check it down if villain checks, unless you hit a T that isnt a diamond (thus allowing you to get more value out of A8 or another 2 pair). If he bets into you for a small amount, i think you can call. You havent shown a whole lot of strength yet, so villain might still be betting with a hand that your aces beat. If he bets half the pot or more, its a tough call... depends on the river.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:37 AM

thanks for the tips. it's hard to put the villain on a hand when you aren't there to get a feel for the game. he had KT of diamonds. and I made a weak call on the river.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:54 AM

Fold to the minraise. You don't see too many players bluff checkminraise at this level and you could have 0 clean outs, meaning if you hit one of your outs there is a high likelyhood of you being stacked or you win a small pot. As for the table image issue, I don't think most people at level will notice you fold to check minraises and if you feel like your being beaten up by folding to these raises, slowdown your continuation bets and wait for a decent hand to play back. People like to call and see showdown don't try and make your ace high hold up.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:32 AM

Why such a small turn bet? Part of the problem with a bet like this is that it is hard to interpret any response to your bet. Not to mention that it gives excellent odds to a lone [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

I would bet the turn more (like $50-$60) and probably fold to a raise.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:40 AM

If he bet out into you kinda close to the pot or more on a river blank he has the flush--usually specifically the nut flush.