Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 01:17 AM

Default I dont know when I am ahead

I play tight aggressive poker at the 2/4 limit online. The problem is I dont think I am extracting the maximum amount of value out of my hands bc I am always affraid I am up against the nuts.There are tons of examples I could give this one being the most recent and probably not the best bc of my call after the flop( I ll take comments on that too) Here is an example:
Dealt to Hero [Qc Ac]
early 1: calls $2
Hero: raises $2 to $4

Mid 3: calls $4Late 1: calls $4

*** FLOP *** [5c 9d Th]
early 1: checks
hero: checks
mid 3: bets $2
late 1: calls $2
her0: calls $2
*** TURN *** [5c 9d Th] [As]
early 1: bets $4
hero: calls $4
mid 3: folds
late1: calls $4
*** RIVER *** [5c 9d Th As] [7d]
ealry 1: bets $4
hero: calls $4
late 1: calls $4
*** SHOW DOWN ***
early 1: shows [Ad 6d] (a pair of Aces)
hero shows [Qc Ac] (a pair of Aces - Queen kicker)
late1: mucks hand
hero collected $49 from pot
Old 11-03-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Re: I dont know when I am ahead

Bet the flop. As you played it, that is an easy turn raise.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:52 AM

When you are given absolutely no reason to believe that you are not ahead, you must be raising to maximize the size of your pots. You have to raise the turn here every time with this board.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-03-2005, 04:47 AM

to reinforce what's been said, you must raise that turn. Go over SSHE when the pot is big. You've four players for a raise preflop, some dead blind money, and four players in for a bet on the flop. I think the pot is about 8 big bets to you on the turn if my math is right. Raise and make those guys behind you either tell you that you're behind (ie they 3-bet you) or pay to draw to an inside straight/2-pair/trips. Your hand is most likely good, but the number of opponents and action cards out there (9,T,and A) make it quite vulnerable.

I would not describe your style as aggressive. Based on one hand, it seems to be tight weak. I don't mean this as an insult. That's what my general player note for you would say after this hand. BTW-buddy list Early 1...that flop missed him in a big way and he continued to play and even donk bet the turn.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is the right play here. What is your action on a UI turn, jason? I peel the flop here then fold ui
Old 11-03-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think this is the right play here. What is your action on a UI turn, jason? I peel the flop here then fold ui

[/ QUOTE ]
Two good overcards + Backdoor straight + Backdoor Flush + Hero raised PF = Flop bet!

After the flop bet we reevaluate. Actions are going to change depending on how many players are still in the pot, if someone raised on the flop, what card comes on the turn, etc...
Old 11-03-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think this is the right play here. What is your action on a UI turn, jason? I peel the flop here then fold ui

[/ QUOTE ]
Two good overcards + Backdoor straight + Backdoor Flush + Hero raised PF = Flop bet!

After the flop bet we reevaluate. Actions are going to change depending on how many players are still in the pot, if someone raised on the flop, what card comes on the turn, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kind of off topic here and I apologize.....This hand
reminds me of the hands that are quizzes in Middle Limit Holdem. The authors there would definitely suggest a flop check with so many opponents.
Am I making a mistake by applying these concepts to SS games? any thoughts on the book?
Old 11-03-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is kind of off topic here and I apologize.....This hand
reminds me of the hands that are quizzes in Middle Limit Holdem. The authors there would definitely suggest a flop check with so many opponents.
Am I making a mistake by applying these concepts to SS games? any thoughts on the book?

[/ QUOTE ]
As with any advice - you need to take it in context and learn to apply it correctly to the specific game that you're in. I haven't read that book - but from reading other 2+2 posts - I think the general consensus is that most of the information doesn't apply to less than 5/10 or 10/20 games online.

Now - that doesn't mean that the advice doesn't apply in an uber-tight 2/4 game with a bunch of decent playing TAGS, LAGS who think and play well post-flop and 1 or 2 FISH. You're just not going to come across this type of game at 2/4 enough to make the generalization about the knowledge given in the book.

Learning something is a small percentage of the process - applying the knowledge is much harder and much more important.