Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2003, 05:12 AM

Default How large is your poker tracker db file size?

I know that Access db is pretty inefficient in general, but after importing only 22k hands (I have another 80k to go)
my ptrack.mdb is 102-MB and my hhdb.mdb is 47-MB.

I don't mind large files, but 500-MB after only 100k hands (if this db size scales linearly) is a bit on the crazy side.

Anyone else have 100k hands and can tell me how large their files are?

Maybe I should send some feature requests to use different db format, or maybe some purge features to purge stale data (old or infrequent players, etc.)
Old 10-23-2003, 05:28 AM

Default Re: How large is your poker tracker db file size?

Well, first you should compact the database files, because that already decreases the size of the files quite considerably. The compacting should be done after every import.

- mongeron
Old 10-23-2003, 05:36 AM

Yes, I compact after each import. Perhaps I should do multiple compacts. I don't know if one compact will compact optimally.

When I zip up the files as a backup I get around 80% compression.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:29 AM

I have about 100k hands. Where does it say how large my file sizes are?
Old 10-23-2003, 06:40 AM

124k hands
559 Megs
Old 10-23-2003, 08:05 AM

One compact is sufficient, the file size is one of the "limitations" of MS Access. There is just so much information to store. You figure with 100k hands, and for the sake of argument say they were all full tables of 10 players. That would be 1 million rows in the one table alone because a row is saved for each player in each game.

There is a purge function under Utilities/Database Maintenance and Options. You can purge old sessions if you want. Another alternative is to start up a new blank database. You do this under File/Maintain Database Names.

I am always looking for alternatives to MS Access. One would be to use a format like PokerStat uses but the software I use to write PT cannot work with that kind of data. Another would be MSDE that another user gave me some info. on and I am investigating.

Lastly, I don't think you need to compact after every import. Maybe just when PT prompts you to do so. My experience has been that the larger the file the more efficient the storage seems to be. When you first start loading hands and compacting the difference in file size before and after is pretty significant. But once you get around 500k, the compact only seems to change the file size by a few MB.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:57 AM

If the disk space becoming an issue, you can compress the file via windows. select the DB file(s) and right mouse click and choose "Properties" Click the "Adanced" button and select "Compress content to save disk space".

This will make the actual size on disk about 1/5th the original size. There will be slight decrease in performance as Windows must uncompressed file when accessed, but it will not be bad and it will only be an issue when being loaded the first time.

Sam
Old 10-23-2003, 11:43 AM

I just bought a 160GB hard disk and paid around $100. I figure that should get me and PokerTracker through the current millennium.