Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 01:56 AM

Default bottom 2 facing resistance

I have played cloase to 800 hands with Villian. He is generally tight passive, but has shown some trickiness and some tendencies to chase. Three distinct notes are that he slow played AK preflop, chased a nut flush without good pot odds, and slow played a set against me on a two suited board. 62.5% wins when seeing showdown.

I have a slightly loose image and have just won a couple of big pots with KK and low/medium suited connectors (when I flopped 2 pair)

I initially put him on AK or AQ, then talked myself out of it. In retrospect, I think I may have been ahead and made a bad laydown. I think AK hearts, AQ hearts, or JQ hearts are all distinct possibilities. I dont think he had a set - his history indicates he would have slow played it. I initially thought the same for A 10 or A 9.

On the other hand, this is quite aggressive for Villian. So he most likely had A 10 or A 9 and was protecting the flush draw?

What do you think? Good laydown here?

Couldnt get the converter to work so I'll fake it:

Absolute HOLDEM NO LIMIT $2
Dealer - HERO ($1141.65 in chips)
SB - xxxx ($127.70 in chips)
BB - Villian ($380 in chips)
UTG - XXXXX ($246.70 in chips)
UTG+1 - XXXX ($786 in chips)
UTG+2 - XXXX ($126 in chips)
UTG+3 - XXXX ($473 in chips)
CO - XXXXX ($209.70 in chips)

SB - Posts small blind $2
Villian - Posts big blind $4
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG - Folds
UTG+1 - Calls $4
UTG+2 - Folds
UTG+3 - Folds
CO - Calls $4
HERO - Calls $4
SB - Calls $2
BB - Checks

*** FLOP *** [A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
SB - Checks
Villian - Bets $20
UTG - Folds
UTG+1 - Folds
HERO - Raises $60 to $60
SB - Folds
Villian - Raises $120 to $140
HERO - Calls $80

*** TURN *** [A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Villian - All-In $236
HERO - Folds

Villian - returned ($236) : not called
Collects $297 from main pot
Old 11-02-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: bottom 2 facing resistance

Given your description of villian as being tight-passive, this plays exactly like top two or top and bottom, with a very slight possibility of bottom two. I would lay this down to the $80 reraise on the flop rather than chase a questionable 4-outer.

I'd have to hear more about his trickiness you talk about to influence me in another direction. Very few players at this level would be savvy enough to bet, 3-bet with Ax[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Most would play it passively and hope to hit cheaply probably by betting and calling your raise or simply check-calling. The only draw I would see an average player do this with is Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] specifically.

Garland
Old 11-02-2005, 04:34 AM

7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?

You can't really call the flop here and fold to turn bet. You chasing your 4 outer? If you're beat, it's only a 2 outer at most. I suppose calling to re-evaluate is alright if you have a read... but I don't really ever expect to see anything less than a turn push, given stack sizes.

This really does look like aces up, though.

Villian is playing his draw pretty damn hard for an unraised pot, if it's not.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:46 AM

fold to the 3-bet on the flop; i'd say he probably has aces up 75% of the time.
if you do decide to call the flop like you did, then you have to call the allin on a blank turn. anything else is just chip spewing.