Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: NBA: Alright, I\'m on the Houston Rockets Bandwagon. Jump on with

[ QUOTE ]

i am going to feel sorry for you in a few months when they continually get worked by the mavs, spurs,suns, and nuggets

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP FYP
Old 11-01-2005, 06:28 PM

Look, I'm an Astros fan first, cause I grew up in Houston...but I've lived in Dallas for the last 8 years, and I am now a Mavericks fan before I'm a Rockets fan (simply because I know some of the guys on the Mavericks personally, and because since THIS Rockets team was put together, I haven't lived in Houston, etc.). That being said, I think the Rockets are going to be damn good this season.

Will they win the West? No. The Spurs won the NBA Championship last year for the second time in three years...and this offseason, they got BETTER (added Michael Finley and Nick Van Exel). So you anyone who says they aren't the runaway favorites to win the West is either lying, an idiot, or a homer.

That said, I do think the Rockets will be the second-hardest team to eliminate in the Western Conference Playoffs. Yao's had an offseason finally, McGrady has matured, is more focused, and in last year's series with the Mavericks, he was absolutely the best player in basketball. Add to that Rafer Alston at the point (a serious upgrade) and Stromile Swift coming off the bench (another serious upgrade), and I'd say the Rockets are easily second-round material...and if they get the right draw, they might be conference finals material.

The problem for both Rockets and Mavs, of course, is this stupid 3-divisional seeding system. Because the Spurs are the best team in the West, and because Dallas and Houston play in the same division...the highest either of them will be seeded is 4th (with the other one most likely being 5th), in spite of the fact that they may well be the teams with the 2nd and 3rd best records in the conference.

This creates a scenario where Houston and Dallas (who will likely be the best two challengers for San Antonio) will play EACH OTHER in the first round, and the Spurs in the second round. I realize I'm assuming the Spurs will have the best record in the conference -- flame away at me for that if you want to, but I think it's a no-brainer.

Anyway...as much as that sucks, here's how I see the West in terms of record:
San Antonio
Dallas (their depth will help them pile up another great regular season record, but won't help them so much in the playoffs)
Phoenix
Houston
Denver
Seattle
Sacto
Lakers

Anyway, thoughts?
Old 11-01-2005, 06:38 PM

obviously i like it., but... [ QUOTE ]
(their depth will help them pile up another great regular season record, but won't help them so much in the playoffs)

[/ QUOTE ]
they still don't have what it takes to beat san antone but their team showed an unbelievable difference on defense and in a half-court game last year and this year i have seen it so far and think it will only be taken to another level again.

though they will probably be eliminated in the semi's, oh well. don't count them out, they could be fiesty this year.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:06 PM

The spurs will have a challenge from the Rockets, but if we cant get t-mac back to t-mac status, we'll fall.

We have more depth than yall think... baxter is a beast, and we have so many little scrappy mofo's at 1 and 2 that we will be damn hard to beat... if t-mac is playing well.

The spurs will win it all, hands down.

If they don't, well, the title will still be in Texas.

And yes, I will make a wager.

No, I wont lay odds, just because Im a sports-betting nub, and would get it wrong.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i am going to feel sorry for you in a few months when they continually get worked by the mavs, spurs,suns, and nuggets

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

You're assuming I accidently left the Suns out. While they're probably 5th in the West, they will not be anywhere near as good as last year, especially the first four months.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The spurs will win it all, hands down.
If they don't, well, the title will still be in Texas.
And yes, I will make a wager.
No, I wont lay odds, just because Im a sports-betting nub, and would get it wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
So if the Spurs do not win it all, you take the other Texas teams to win, and I get all the other teams in the league. No odds, so even money.

I doubt that is what you are proposing, so please clarify. If it is what you are offering, then I accept, and how much would you like to wager? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2005, 07:42 PM

That is something along the lines of what I am offering, although to be fair, since Im on three teams, you should pick three as well... maybe, Im not good at sports betting, like I said.

PM me, and we'll work it out.

But only if you're serious.

anyone else who is too, lemme know.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That is something along the lines of what I am offering, although to be fair, since Im on three teams, you should pick three as well... maybe, Im not good at sports betting, like I said.

PM me, and we'll work it out.

But only if you're serious.

anyone else who is too, lemme know.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a huge mixup here, if you're taking SA, Houston, and Dallas there are no 3 other NBA teams that can compete with this because SA is such a prohibitive favorite. Now... if you're taking Houston or Dallas to win the Championship over any other two teams of the other sides choice exempting San Antonio its a totally different bet.