Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Switching from ring to 6max..What do I need to change?

[ QUOTE ]
just a quick question from a shorthanded LHE player starting to play some 6-max NL...in general, what kind of range do you 3-bet with PF?...This is at 100NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a shortstacked player (~50BB or less): AA and KK. If I know they are donkeys, I will extend this to QQ and AK and perhaps even further depending on their level of donkness.

Against a full player: Pretty much just aces. Nothing if they are LAG postflop (mmmm...trapping). Rarely AK/QQ or worse.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think most of the money you'll make is from the players that think that 6-max is much different than full ring and loosen up their playing standards even more than their already loose standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Especially ones that buy in short.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:59 AM

So basically , I dont even need to change anything. Just loosen up my raising AND calling standars from the CO and Button? Thats it?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:02 PM

ya thats it. good luck.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ya thats it. good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you keep seperate PT stats for 6max? Im a full ring player and have been reading that 6max is better... so have also been considering it.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:09 PM

No, i dont keep seperate databases. Since I have been playing 6-max excuslively for the last couple levels Ive played, I just assume that all my opponents stats are for 6-max. It works fine.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:11 PM

If you play up to nl50 (maybe nl100) you can just ignore the fact that it's 6-max instead of a full table and play good hands (but it will be even more important to be aggressive than in a full ring).

When you come to some higher levels you want to mix it up because you will be to easy to read and will get almost no action if you're a rock.

Also at nl200 and above it can be profitable to create a LAG image at some times etc.

EDIT: This post is confusing now when I read it but im tired, hope I got something right...
Old 11-01-2005, 12:13 PM

My random thoughts:

One problem for newbies to 6 max is that they become too loose. If board is 725, and newbie has K7, they think "wow, i have top pair." but a pair of 7's doesn't win that often.

I think the turn is the most crucial in 6 max, because there is alot of continuation bets/bluffing on flop. If someone makes a good size bet on the turn, chances are they have something (unless you're against a LAG).

Personally, and I think this is somewhat supported in various posts at HUSH forums, I stay away from face cards with weak kickers (K6, Q5, etc). In my experience, these get people into alot of trouble. Even AJ, AQo, KQ, KJ, KT are iffy for me against strong pf raises from tight opponents.

Also, calling is generally bad poker at 6 max. Raise/re-raise or fold.

Finally, if you have a baby flush or low end of a straight, most of the times you have the best hand.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, calling is generally bad poker at 6 max. Raise/re-raise or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree. There are plenty of times where calling is the right play.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:52 PM

Won about $75 on my first night of 6max yesterday playing 3 tables. People are defanitly more agressive at 6max. Lots more continuation bets and bluffs ( semi or otherwise). Im at Fulltilt nl50 6max btw.