Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 11:49 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Xbox 360 vs. PS3

i looked at the mgs4 direct-feed trailer on ign insider before i left work. the graphics are excellent (although making snake look like a 60 year-old pirate is pretty weird). i'm very impressed if it wasn't actually pre-rendered. they're claiming it's not, of course.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, but I would so do your avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-01-2005, 04:29 AM

PS3 preview:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13284367@N00/57517281/

Once the PS3 arrives the competition will be over for a while...
Old 11-01-2005, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is the 360 going to be faster? I was reading something that said it had 3 processors running at 3.2 ghz.

But the video card is only 500mhz?

[/ QUOTE ]

the ps2 can already PWN most computers at real time rendering. The computers used for rendering 3d animation at my school were way slower than the current consols (like 0.5-1 min per frame(30 frames in a second of animation)).

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you talking about? comparing 3d computer rendering software to a low-resolution outdated video game console? try comparing the ps2 to ANY GAMING VIDEO CARD you can buy on the market. apples and oranges. it took six hours for very fast computers to render a frame of toy story. this does not mean the ps2 is technically superior because it can render 30fps of GTA3.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is the 360 going to be faster? I was reading something that said it had 3 processors running at 3.2 ghz.

But the video card is only 500mhz?

[/ QUOTE ]

the ps2 can already PWN most computers at real time rendering. The computers used for rendering 3d animation at my school were way slower than the current consols (like 0.5-1 min per frame(30 frames in a second of animation)).

[/ QUOTE ]

Very Incorect. Also, you realize a PS2 is rendering at 480x440 resolution? Your statement is entirely false.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:49 AM

consoles have the hardware edge over computers in one area only: processing power. not because they have superior technology, or anything like that, but because instead of running 25 processes and a game, the entire processor is being used to process the main function of a game.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
consoles have the hardware edge over computers in one area only: they are standardized.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-01-2005, 06:02 AM

well that would make two areas... although I dealt with that in earlier posts.

However, Xbox is kinda trying to get rid of that, with an HDD "upgrade" for the system.

Watch for them to start building constant console upgrades, if not in this console generation, then by the next.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:03 AM

Does anyone have a link showing the Revolution controller in action? I'm dying to see how clever it is.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:23 AM

PS2 has sold 4 times as many consoles as xbox. This is the only data I can find to back this up atm, but I have heard other numbers quoted very similiar to this. They continue to sell more, even in the US (I couldnt find any data more recent, but the total sales are the most inmportant and these can't have changed too much in the past 6-10 months).

A market share this huge will be extremely hard to overcome. A release date a year ahead of the PS3, will help, but even if microsoft doubled their market share, they would still be way behind globally.

So far, this hasnt been a console race, it has been a slaughter. This isnt like ABC vs CBS, this is closer to ABC vs TBS, in terms of market share. Saying TBS has a vastly superior fall lineup, assuming this is comepletely true, is mostly irrelivent in the overall win or lose ratings because there is too much ground to catch up.