Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Top pair with paired board

Was folding correct on the turn? Or should I have called to the showdown?

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: (7.00 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds.

Turn: (5.00 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP2 folds, Hero folds
Old 10-31-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Top pair with paired board

Any reads on BB?
If he is your typical LAP fish, he is propably "slowplaying" his blind garbage or has a better ace than you. Fold
If he is a more aggressice player I might call down since the pot has gotten pretty much big, but I'm really worried about my kicker.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:49 PM

There's some chance you have chopping outs or are chopping already. I think you'll hardly ever do any better than chop, though, and if that's the case, you need to invest 2 BBs in the hopes of winning 3.5 BBs.

This isn't such great odds, and BB probably has an 8.

A read could change things, but against an unknown, I think the fold is fine.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any reads on BB?
If he is your typical LAP fish, he is propably "slowplaying" his blind garbage or has a better ace than you. Fold
If he is a more aggressice player I might call down since the pot has gotten pretty much big, but I'm really worried about my kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

BB is quite a sensible player. so he probably has an A at least. and yes the kicker was also what i was concerned about
Old 10-31-2005, 10:46 PM

I don't like the flop bet. You have a hand that is on the high end of marginal, and you should be looking to protect it. You should check and plan on a) calling a bet from your left or b) raising a bet from your right.

On the turn, I'm a little concerned about the slowplayed trips, but the pot is big and BB could play like this with a range of PP hands that you're beating. I think I call this down.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:57 PM

Hand protection is not really an issue on the flop.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:16 PM

I would fold here. You're ahead of basically a pure bluff and drawing dead to practically any legitimate hand. I would also check the flop.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:24 PM

Just for the record, the only hands Hero is drawing completely dead against on the turn are 88 and AA.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's some chance you have chopping outs or are chopping already. I think you'll hardly ever do any better than chop, though, and if that's the case, you need to invest 2 BBs in the hopes of winning 3.5 BBs.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is meant by "chopping outs"?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is meant by "chopping outs"?

[/ QUOTE ]

River cards higher than his kicker that will tie the pot. If he has A9, then you have four "chopping outs"