Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 04:16 AM

Default Re: Flush draw - appropriate aggression?

[ QUOTE ]
The board in this case is pretty dangerous, so if someone had a made hand, I would think that they'd raise the flop immediately to chase out the draws rather than wait for the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of people wait for the turn to raise with their good hands no matter what the board looks like. I did that a lot when I first started out and I had -no-idea- what i was doing.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of people wait for the turn to raise with their good hands no matter what the board looks like. I did that a lot when I first started out and I had -no-idea- what i was doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely agree -- good point; myself included on that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Though as you alluded to, waiting for the turn to pull that play should be done with care -- i.e., when you aren't too worried about giving a cheap turn card to your opponent. That applies when you've either 1) made a monster on the flop (set, straight, quads, etc.) or 2) the board is not too scary or 3) there are a small number of people in the pot who could draw out on you. The last two conditions didn't apply here.

Regarding the first condition, the best made hand anyone could have had on this flop is a set. QQ and TT are unlikely becaues there was no pre-flop raise. QT is a possibility, but that hand is definitely not strong enough to slow play on the flop. 22 is also a possibility; though bottom set is also a little dicey to slow play with the possible straight and flush draws out there (and large number of players).

My only read on (some of) the opponents this particular hand is that they seemed to be decent players (no maniac tendencies that I could detect).
Old 10-31-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I find that in these low-limit games, people are often willing to call a small bet on the flop with nothing , but fold to a turn big bet if unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little more accurate now.

[ QUOTE ]

The board in this case is pretty dangerous, so if someone had a made hand, I would think that they'd raise the flop immediately to chase out the draws rather than wait for the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You give low limit players too much credit. Calling stations are calling stations, no matter how big the pot is or how vulnerable their hand is. They just keep on calling.

I don't hate the turn bet, but I don't think I'd make it. Here it was good, because it folded out two hands and got you a call from a very weak draw, but I think you get called down too often.