Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 05:45 PM

Default What does he have?

1/2 blind 6 max
UTG+1 limps with about 140. Folded to bb who min raises, he's got UTG+1 covered. UTG+1 calls.

Flop: KQQ
bb min bets, utg+1 calls

Turn: A(KQQ) rainbow
bb min bets, utg+1 calls

river: 7(AKQQ)
bb pots it, UGT+1 folds

What does BB have here? I see this move somewhat frequently, making tiny bets until the river and betting bigger, but I have little clue what they have and usually the other guy folds so you can't find out.

edit: my best guess is a monster, bets small to make sure he gets something then tries for the big payoff on the river. I guessed a Q on the hand above, AQ or KQ perhaps.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: What does he have?

weak bets on the flop/turn followed by a large river bet normally indicate a strong hand from the start, or a weak hand that greatly improved on the river. (flush/straight just completed etc)
Old 10-29-2005, 06:00 PM

weak, weak, strong betting, with no help coming on the river, usually means a big hand from the get go especially from players who aren't so good...at least thats what I've noticed. They try and string along ppl with what they think is a good hand...and then try and get them all in on the river. If the player is a good player, then thats not so true.

I'm gonna guess AQ
Old 10-29-2005, 06:12 PM

Actually, these situations are a lot of times based on betting patterns. In my experience:

Preflop: The min-raise could mean anything, unless you have a specific read that your opponent only does this with higher pocket pairs or suited connectors.

a) If there's a draw out there: idiots bet their draws w/ minimum bets hoping to cause their opponents to fear a monster (they hope for a cheap chase on their draw). In these situations I normally raise to above the pot size regardless of my holdings and I'd say that they fold about 75% of the time.

b)sometimes they might have an underpair of some sort where they're betting to see where they're at.

c)rarely, but sometimes shmucks do this w/ monsters (make a note of this and they'll never bust you).

Your situation: I have no idea what he has without a read. Obviously it looks like he has a fullhouse of some sort or maybe JQ but who knows. He could have AK for all i know.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:29 PM

I think the minbet/minbet/potbet generally means that the player is a fish, and he has a good but not great hand. They know they're supposed to be betting, but lack the courage of betting big, since they'll be in an awkward position if any scare cards come. The big bet on the end only comes when all the draws miss, or the player hit a big hand. On this board, though, it's hard to have a good, but not great hand. I'm going to guess AK.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:13 AM

Minbet out of the BB = fish.
Minbet the flop into a raised pot = fish.
Minbet the turn into a raised pot = fish.
Hitting the "bet pot" button after the above sequence on the river = fish.

All of this means that he could have anything and you should play him as oftren as possible.