Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Continuation bets

I've been trying to move up to 5/10 play and have run into a major roadblock. I have a few things that I'm working on and one of my questions has to do with continuation bets.

Say you have AKo raise it preflop and the miss the flop. Under what circumstances do you make a continuation bet? If you are last to act? First to act? Do you raise to a bet?

I'm finding that where I could bully someone out of the pot at the 2/4 level, at the 5/10 if someone has a low pocket pair (or even pairs the board as low as a 2), then they will call me down if an A or K does not hit the board. It is like I have a giant "AKo" sign above my name.

Should I slow down my play when I miss the flop? While I'm not doing too bad with AK, my AQ, AJ, and KQ (suited and non) are all atrocious. Most of the money lost has been on hands where I raise preflop, miss, do a continuation bet and get called down by a medium or low pair.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Continuation bets

If I raise with hands with AK, I almost always make a continuation bet. If you check, your opponents will know after a while that you have big cards and missed the flop. Besides, the bet allows me to figure out where I am
Old 10-29-2005, 04:33 PM

depends on:
1. my position
2. # of players in the hand.
3. what the flop is.
4. recently played hands that went to showdown
5. looseness/tightness of my opponents

i don't play 5/10 but there are some flops that i NEED to check based on the above criteria.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:36 PM

depends on how the flop looks.