Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 07:27 PM

Default newbie questions

I'm starting out playing 1-5 dollar buy in tourneys on stars and had a few questions.

What is the value of a hand like qj23 on the button with a few limpers?

hands like kkq8 double suited are those auto throw aways?

and are any hands playable as long as they have a2?

what about hands like 234k in early position?
thanks!
Old 10-28-2005, 04:28 AM

Default Re: newbie questions

[ QUOTE ]
What is the value of a hand like qj23 on the button with a few limpers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill - 23JQn is not a very good starting hand. I consider it marginal. As a newbie, you can easily get trapped and end up chasing with a non-nut hand. Sometimes you win with these, but sometimes you lose. It's easy to be zigging when you should be zagging - and it's expensive. You're generally either playing for high or low, and easily ruined by the river card.

[ QUOTE ]
hands like kkq8 double suited are those auto throw aways?

[/ QUOTE ]

That one is playable, better than 23JQn. But again, without experience you can get in trouble. You're purely playing for high. Mostly you want to see a king on the flop to continue, and that only will happen about one time in eight. The eight is mostly useless since it doesn't make a straight with the king or queen. (9TJ uses QK instead of 8Q). Obviously there are flush possibilities, but playing 2nd nut flushes can be perilous.

[ QUOTE ]
and are any hands playable as long as they have a2?

[/ QUOTE ]

To keep it simple, let's say yes. Actually, if non-suited and if M and N are both middle cards, a few A2MNn hands are marginal.

[ QUOTE ]
what about hands like 234k in early position?

[/ QUOTE ]

234K hands are playable, about the same as KKQ8d hands. But you hate to limp with 234Kd and then have the pot raised behind you. I guess whether or not you should play 234K from early position depends. I'd generally play 234K, even if a rainbow, in a loose, passive game. (I try to avoid any other kind of game). But I don't know if what I do is always the wisest thing to do. Without an ace and one or two other non-counterfeiting low ranks on the flop, continuing is risky. You're mostly playing for low.

Buzz
Old 10-28-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: newbie questions

thanks so much for taking the time to answer those questions with such detail i really appreciate it!