5 14 19.44%
6 10 13.89%
7 8 11.11%
8 11 15.28%
9 10 13.89%
10 6 8.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: How many hands do you play every week?

[ QUOTE ]

That's a hell of a lot of hands. Few people are able to sustain that sort of pace for any length of time unless they're playing many tables. Even 8-tabling it makes for a fairly long day, and it's a huge jump for someone not used putting in that much table time. I also got the feeling that his rut involved not doing as well as he wanted to be, but that might have been an error on my part.

I might just be alone in finding it hard to put in that many hours for any length of time without significant drop off in my play. Guess it depends on what his goals are. If it's purely about maxing out hourly expectation and aggressively multitabling is something they're good at, more power to them.

My point was simply that there are relatively few plans which rely on playing 3000 hands/day for any length of time that will result in a happy, rut free poker player on the the other end. If this one is an exception, happy days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the explanation. It is a very good analysis that leaves some room for exceptions (and OP may very well be one). Some players like to play extra hands during a downswing just to get through it quicker.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably playing 1-100 hands a week at this point. And that's all you need to successfully progress.

[/ QUOTE ]

really?
Old 10-28-2005, 09:02 AM

there is a big difference between playing 1000 hands/month and 5000/month. I think you should have broke it down to 1000-2500 and 2500-5000. But what do I know.

edit: same thing goes for teh 5000-10000.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:28 AM

You can progress playing any number of hands that fits your time. Affects how quickly you move limit to limit, not whether you move limit to limit.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:08 AM

My goal is to get in five 300 hand sessions each week but i work a bunch of hours and have three children so its not easy. I also only play two tables at a time so it takes me longer than most.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'd urge you to reassess your plan

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a hell of a lot of hands. Few people are able to sustain that sort of pace for any length of time unless they're playing many tables. Even 8-tabling it makes for a fairly long day, and it's a huge jump for someone not used putting in that much table time. I also got the feeling that his rut involved not doing as well as he wanted to be, but that might have been an error on my part.

I might just be alone in finding it hard to put in that many hours for any length of time without significant drop off in my play. Guess it depends on what his goals are. If it's purely about maxing out hourly expectation and aggressively multitabling is something they're good at, more power to them.

My point was simply that there are relatively few plans which rely on playing 3000 hands/day for any length of time that will result in a happy, rut free poker player on the the other end. If this one is an exception, happy days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya I hit a massive downswing so I wanted to put in a bunch of hands before the end of the month to meet my goal for hands, and to try and save the month (ya ya I know bad thinking but I think setting goals like this is good from time to time). I usually 4 table, but I dropped down a limit so I could 8 table. I am getting 5-600 hands in per hour so it's not really that much time.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:48 AM

I try to play two 100-hand sessions a week by 1-tabling. That's about two hours and the most I can manage with work, family, friends and wanting to go outside and see what the world looks like now and then.

I'd like to play more and I can play 2-tables with ABC poker, but I still find myself making bonehead plays or decisions. I think if a person can play 1000 hands a day and limit their -EV decisions, all the power to them.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably playing 1-100 hands a week at this point. And that's all you need to successfully progress.

[/ QUOTE ]

really?

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with Aaron -- I think quality of analysis is more important than quantity of hands when you're trying to improve. I definitely feel that I'm improving more when I'm reading books, thinking about posts on this forum or reviewing a session than I do making decisions at the table.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just went back to PT to double check. It's actually about 230 hands/week, 918 total in the month of October. It sure seems like a lot less than that - I guess those longer sessions I played are tipping the scales a bit more than I thought. (I don't count MLL hands towards this total.)

But I still stand by my claim that 100 hands/week should give you enough to think about to become a very good player. I didn't even mention the things you can learn from studying how your villains are playing their hands. What I mean is that you can learn a lot by seeing what hands villains show down and replay the hands *KNOWING* what they have. You can gain a lot of insight into how they think (because most of them *DO* think).
Old 10-28-2005, 12:30 PM

~250 figuring i play 6-max, about 75-100 per session 3 times a week. i don't multitable...ever. i'm happy with my win rate and my downswings are spread out, so it doesn't affect me as badly.