Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2003, 04:27 PM

Default Re: SNG\'s/Hour and Hourly Rate

I think optimal play will get you something like .20/.15/.18. I often find players that make the worst possible mistake heads up: too tight with huge blinds. Also, good play at 3 and 4 handed can be very profitable since many people will play like granite. After all, one 1st and one 4th is worth more than 2 3rds.

Craig
Old 10-19-2003, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Redhotman: There are plenty of people who make 50% ROI at 50+5 and above, though most of them probably play one at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would have to see documentation to believe someone had a 50% ROI at Party $55 SNG's.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:57 PM

I used to be very frustrated with the 'crap shoot' nature of SnG's on party once you get into the last 3, but lately I've changed my mind. I won 3 in a row last night ($50 SnG NL) and won the one before that 3 night ago so am 4 for 4. I having been winning about 80% of the time I get into the top 3 and well over 50% in all over the past few weeks.

I now believe -- at least at the $50 level -- that given the weak nature of the competition an aggressive style late coupled with the large blinds really helps you force the action and have a big upper hand.

It's really not about your cards as much as playing your opponents, forcing the action and getting your opponents to be concerned about going in against you. Of course it helps to build a good chip lead over the first few rounds so that you can do most of the bullying.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:58 PM

While I agree with you, 80% and maybe 50% are not sustainable.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:48 PM

Default really like to see some accurate record

This topic has been talked about over and over again. It seems that many people who has good ROI (50%+) either didn't play many games(<500, my best 100 game also get 80% ROI, so 500 is about necessary for accurate result) or playing at $10 level or playing at multiple sites and mix up the result. I'd really like to see someone who has over 500 SnG at party recently who can get ROI over 50%. Knowing that it's possible can sure help my game.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:38 PM

I don't fool myself into thinking I can win at such a high rate all the time. However, I do believe -- at least at the $50 level -- that the blind structure favors the better player and it does come down to skill more than luck (e.g., it's NOT a crap shoot).
Old 10-19-2003, 11:39 PM

this is what everyone says when they win 3 in a row

everyone is frustrated when they come in 3rd 3 in a row
Old 10-20-2003, 01:43 AM

Default Re: really like to see some accurate record

[ QUOTE ]
This topic has been talked about over and over again. It seems that many people who has good ROI (50%+) either didn't play many games(<500, my best 100 game also get 80% ROI, so 500 is about necessary for accurate result) or playing at $10 level or playing at multiple sites and mix up the result. I'd really like to see someone who has over 500 SnG at party recently who can get ROI over 50%. Knowing that it's possible can sure help my game.

[/ QUOTE ]
50% ROI in the long run is not posible at the $55 Party SNGs.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't fool myself into thinking I can win at such a high rate all the time. However, I do believe -- at least at the $50 level -- that the blind structure favors the better player and it does come down to skill more than luck (e.g., it's NOT a crap shoot).

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you figure this? At other sites the blinds rise slowly, there are more hands, and thus more chances to suck bad players in when you ahve the nuts.
Do you have any idea how many Party SNG's I have played where I dont even see the flop to Level 4 when I have so few chips it is only justified to go All-in.....
Old 10-20-2003, 02:21 PM

I believe that the large blinds allow for a lot more stealing. Over the past month I have gotten much more aggressive -- I go all-in several times per tournament and make dozens of steal attempts that usually succeed. Also when the blinds are larger your good hands have a lot more value since you can be comfortable to simply take the blinds right there where as when the blinds are small you need to gamble more and see the flop which leads to getting burned and knocked out (no reason to bet all-in with AA when there is only T35 in the pot). Teh times I finish out of the money it's usually when I have strong hands (JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AKs, AQs, etc.) and lose to draws. This rarely happens when the blinds get big because I am more comfortable taking the pot right there.

When I look back at my stats past a month or so ago (using Poker Tracker) my distribution of in-the-money placements are pretty even between 3rd, 2nd and 1st. Lately I'm about 80% 1sts. In fact I won last night again so I now have 5 in a row. Last night was a good example. I got down to T600 with 4 left and the leader was over T3000. I managed to hang on with some steals against the 3 smaller stacks (no good hands!). I then got into the top 3 and quickly moved up to the lead -- still with few great hands, mostly steals and people folding to me when I was in the BB. I then lost an all-in confrontation to a smaller stack and was left with only T900 or so. I was able to quickly move up with some good hands, but mostly blind steals and people folding to me in the BB.

I play mostly $50 sng's at Party. I have no doubt that it gets a lot tougher against other players who are aggressive like me when you move up. I'll probably start trying to play at the $100 level a bit more.

* On a side note, one of my opponents last night showed every winning hand. I've never seen someone do it all the time. What a mistake. He basically only went into pots with very strong hands. He had no idea what a mistake he was making letting me know this so easily.