Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: thanks doc...a little more help please

I think openraising with AJ and KQ UTG is generally good, since it's pretty breakeven and it should help you get more action with your solid hands.

But restealing with weak Kxs and Ax is problematic for several reasons:

* even "loose" raisers have youd dominated here a lot, so you either pay a lot some of the time you hit your hand or you have to play your made hands more carefully (reducing your earn).

* you only have 3 outs against most PPs; many loose players show down their PPs unless the board is incredibly scary and you simply cannot outplay A3 or K3s against 44 if the player with 44 keeps going to showdown.

* your hand has weak showdown value so you get in troubles when the flop has a lot of middle cards against an opponent who likes to bluff bet his draws and made hands -- you're either forced to fold to a lot of his semibluffs or call down and pay off a lot of his weak made hands (again your weak kicker means you only have 3 outs most of the time, making your calldown especially -EV).

Restealing with A4o or K5s should be saved for someone who is stealing with any two. Against a very aggressive stealer, it might be appropriate to resteal with A7o or K8s from time to time. However, this play is marginal or worse unless you have some fold equity.

The worst person to resteal Ax against is someone who shows down pairs and A highs but nothing worse. While that doesn't describe everyone, it's pretty close to how a lot of players play, especially the looser and more aggressive ones.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:27 AM

Default hmmmm.....

these are all the plays that differentiate me from my friends and make me a 24/14 while they operate in the 20/10 range and yet the initial feedback seems to indicate most of these plays are correct or only slightly incorrect...i was actually hoping to drop them from my bag of tricks but now im stuck....
Old 10-27-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Re: hmmmm.....

You might be defending your blind too loosely, either with hands like K9o against an EP raiser or trash like 86o against a late position raiser. Unless you're really good postflop and/or your opponent is horrible postflop, it's hard to make a profit on these hands. Again, they are probably not horribly incorrect, but they are -EV and it's to make these mistakes often.

Or you might be playing hands like AJo or KQo after a tight player has raised in a non-steal position.

At some level, I suspect you are justifying playing unprofitable hands with the belief that you can outplay your opponents postflop. While you are hopefully better than them postflop, you either (1) aren't good enough to make money with some of the weaker hands you are playing against their range, or (2) your postflop skills are so good you should be playing higher limits as soon as your bankroll allows.

Over a 50K stretch, a 24/14 style might beat out a 20/10 style, but in the long run a tighter style will succeed for most good players against most levels of opposition, all else being equal.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. 3 limpers i raise from the button 89s. i figure my hand is playable and i just gave myself a free card option on the flop..is an extra small bet too much to pay for that option?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. although opening on the button is ok depending.

[ QUOTE ]
2. i steal from the button or cutoff with any 2 gapper or better bigger than jto

[/ QUOTE ]

yes yes yes yes. add any ace and many kings usually also. theres a few other hands.

[ QUOTE ]
3. i resteal anyone w/ stats as loose as mine w/ any ace or any suited king

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm. thats kinda crazy i think but i suck oop. its certainly good to mix it up especially against aggro players bc you dont want to get run over.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Re: JJ 100/200 Turn 4flush bluff

[ QUOTE ]
i think betting the turn and having that be the last of your money that goes in the pot seems right.

[/ QUOTE ]

i always use this line in this situation.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i figure im starting with a better hand than them on average and i can outplay them, hubris?

[/ QUOTE ]

can you really outplay these guys when you are out of position?
Old 10-27-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: blind defense

my philosophy on defending the blind is try to have 2 live suited cards or a better hand than what your up against. sooo, ill defend (call) against an early (22/12 or worse)raiser with a hand like 68s but fold ATo, against a late raiser ill three bet w/ ATo
Old 10-27-2005, 09:40 PM

Default results

He called, I checked planning on folding a blank river, he checked behind A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and won. Weird hand, I guess betting was right though. Any other input appreciated.

-DrG
Old 10-28-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: results

Wow, his flop call seems really, really bad.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, his flop call seems really, really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah my thinking as well. his turn call too IMO.

-DrG