Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: New Biggest Miracle

[ QUOTE ]
That's easy: the Resurrection. That's upon what Christianity is based. If Jesus didn't rise from the dead, our hopes are in vain.

[/ QUOTE ]

If jesus didn't rise from the dead it would only disprove christianity. DS is looking for a proof/disproof of the biblical god, which also covers judaism and islam.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's easy: the Resurrection. That's upon what Christianity is based. If Jesus didn't rise from the dead, our hopes are in vain.

[/ QUOTE ]

If jesus didn't rise from the dead it would only disprove christianity. DS is looking for a proof/disproof of the biblical god, which also covers judaism and islam.

[/ QUOTE ]
What does the word "biblical" mean?
Old 10-26-2005, 04:51 PM

"That's easy: the Resurrection. That's upon what Christianity is based. If Jesus didn't rise from the dead, our hopes are in vain."

Is that completely true. If he didn't rise after dying that would be one thing. But suppose he rose after NOT DYING? In other words he was somehow buried alive. That wouldn't invalidate Christianity would it?
Old 10-26-2005, 04:54 PM

"Doesn't the creation of the world in six days (if believed) cover this? "

No. Because most religious people think it didn't happen,
Old 10-26-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What does the word "biblical" mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious or are you being fecetious? I know you can't be serious so that leaves fecetious. But I don't understand why you'd need to be fecetious. It's pretty clear from the context, if not the obviousness of the word itself, what it means, and there isn't any ambiguity that would necessitate fecetiousness. But on the off chance that you don't know what biblical means, I'll cut and paste from dictionary.com.

bib·li·cal also Bib·li·cal ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bbl-kl)
adj.
Of, relating to, or contained in the Bible.

So when I say the 'biblical god' I mean the God contained in the Bible.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"That's easy: the Resurrection. That's upon what Christianity is based. If Jesus didn't rise from the dead, our hopes are in vain."

Is that completely true. If he didn't rise after dying that would be one thing. But suppose he rose after NOT DYING? In other words he was somehow buried alive. That wouldn't invalidate Christianity would it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, David it would invalidate Xnity. Basically, the Resurrection is fundamental to Xnity. We can get into the theology of it all, but I don't think you are asking that. If so, let us know.

RJT
Old 10-26-2005, 11:58 PM

Since you asked for no tangents, I waited to post this - since it is a tangent:

Can I again (as it probably seems to be my MO, it is not intentional) offer a different scenario? I really think your nomination should be something from the New Testament. (Unless there is a point I am missing. E,g,, you want to review the God of Judaism here. ) I would skim through the changing water to wine, raising Lazarus, walking on water stuff.

Let’s try doing it this way. I am not saying this is how it works, just that it might lead us to further analysis. For the sake of discussion, let’s take the whole Old Testament as allegory, including the 10th plague (maybe Carlo who I think did a fine job on the manna thing might help here.) Let’s again assume for our discussion that it was all written in a way either to explain things to the masses or even as how the writers understood things at that time.

Now we come to Jesus and the interpretation of Him as written in the New Testament and then theologies to follow to present day. Let’s assume that parts of His story, the NT, is allegory, too (the wine/water, Lazarus, walking on water) Let’s skip to the “good parts”: The Resurrection and the Eucharist.

Different Christian denominations have different theologies regarding the Eucharist. Some (actually, I think it is just we Catholics) believe during the Consecration at Mass the bread and water is changed into the Body and Blood of Christ. Some think the Consecration is a metaphor. So let’s skip this “miracle”.

So we have the Resurrection - R.

Now historically (and basically theology pretty seems to still concur - I’m not really up on all that much on current theologies) that the R was basically Jesus’ body literally walking around on earth. Also, it is important to note that we believe that He Ascended to Heaven Body and Soul. The only way we can imagine all of this (and even speak of it) is through our perception of reality that we are used to (and language that we know how to describe it and interpret it.) But, what the heck does that mean? He Ascended to Heaven - as if Heaven is higher than the sky? Certainly, it is either nonsense or it really is something else that we can’t really understand(yet?).

Regarding the R. If it did occur -then the believers did witness it somehow. Either God “allowed” them to “see” Jesus walking around because they believed or their belief somehow opened the doors of perception for them. Or perhaps He was actually walking around for all to see but there were those not looking or not paying attention or denied it was He. (Maybe some where too busy trying to cure cancer to pay attention, I say tongue in cheek.)

I will continue with this thought in a new thread - taking the issue (s) that I really think David is asking about.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This resulted in only the first born Egyptians being given a lethal dose of the toxins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't heard this one before, it sounds better than mine. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Plagues
Lots of good stuff in that article that I had never heard before either.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:48 PM

What about Elijah and the prophets of Baal?

1 Kings 18 I believe. My personal favorite.