Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Typical JJ Flop

There are some interesting philosophical concepts here. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Against some opponents, it's clear that I should bet this all the way (or at least bet the turn), and against others, it's clear that I should check the turn and fold the river. But occasionally (but not at all an insignificant amount of the time), I simply have little to no idea where I am. I guess that's where Mason/Westley's "default" play comes in. If I just don't know what to do, I still have to make a decision based on SOMEthing. I think I'm more comfortable losing 1 BB most of the time rather than the entire pot some of the time. And by "more comfortable" I mean "probably will show a higher profit/smaller loss." So, when reads fail, I'll bet the turn.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:56 PM

I give up when 2 people call. If only one I fire one on the turn and check the river through. Thats my standard FWIW.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being checked to on the turn in headsup and threeway pots after being the preflop and flop aggressor is my life. Getting it right is why I'm there. Tommy

[/ QUOTE ]

Tommy, hit the nail on the head. How many times have you checked the flop, given a free card and said "I should have bet the turn." Does it equal the amount of times you bet the turn with AA on aboard of 25J9, got c/r'd and then called down knowing you're beat?

The turn man, the turn. Giving free cards kill, but so does knowing you're on autobet and beat.

[ QUOTE ]
you can't know in advance when it is right to check the turn and fold the river. All you can do is be ready

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder a lot how much that "catastrophic fold" concept has turned a lot of very good players into calling station fish late in the hand.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:52 PM

Hi, Tommy.

I haven't read many of your posts lately.

That has been my loss as I see from this thread that you know that you have reached Nirvana.

Well written, sir. I will enjoy searching now for other gems.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:21 PM

" I think I'm more comfortable losing 1 BB most of the time rather than the entire pot some of the time. "

I don't think this is all that applicable here. Many hands that called the flop will be calling or raising the turn. The 6 is a very meaningful card in this situation, so if it is part of your "fudged" details, you should have made it a 2. I would feel way better about JJ if the turn ahd been a 2, T, or 3...the A765 board means that JJ is either behind with few outs, ahead but up against hands with tons of outs who may semibluff c/r, or way ahead of hands with just 5 outs. This would probably lead me to bet/fold in games where opponents play passive and check otherwise...as others have said, in B&M poker, it doesn't take much of a read to decide whether a table is generally passive or not. Just having played there before recently, knowing 1 or 2 players, or having watched an orbit or so ought to do.