Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2003, 02:17 PM

Default Re: A day at skill poker part II

Certainly if my AA busts to KK on hand 1, and my counterpart loses with AA to KK on hand 19, but has a bigger stack already, and survives, this does indeed seem to mean that even their dodgy definition of skill is lessened into oblivion.

Lori
Old 10-17-2003, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Uneven # of players...

A very quick reply from support.

Hi Lori,

Thank you for your inquiry. The latter part of your message is correct. Both players on each table sitting at seat 1 will receive the same cards but they will be at a random point in sequence of the 20 hands dealt in the tournament. If you do need any further clarification please don't hesitate to contact us, or you can read a very detailed explanation on the website, www.skillpoker.com.

Thank you again.

Scott ---
SkillPoker.com Support

Drunkbob, this is currently play money, but might turn real very shortly.

This seems to imply that I won't even get the same cards versus the same cards. So my KK might be up against AA whilst someone elses KK could be up against QQ.

Isn't this now just poker?

If this is the case, it is certainly a format that I think people here could beat nicely, but I also suspect that the site has a life expectency of less than the two weeks I previously thought.

Lori
Old 10-17-2003, 02:28 PM

I guess I shoulda looked at Part 1 first!
Old 10-17-2003, 02:28 PM

I read a stock thread over on raging bull that covers the company behind skillpoker http://ragingbull.lycos.com/mboard/b...cgi?board=PKER

There are bits of interesting reading (in among the 100s of posts that are a somewhere on the other side of Pluto) on what is being said about the past results and achievements of the management team and the various lives of the company.

For example, these skilllpoker team had the benefit of the poker.com URL at a time when they probably had more online players than, yes, partypoker.com. I can't confirm since that is away before my time around here but I'm sure a few people might remember this time.

Today they no longer have the URL and we all know what Party has done. However, Party was probably 10 times bigger when the skillpoker team lost the poker.com URL. So, the team behing skillpoker is not exactly the kind of team you'd look to for the next big success IMO.

Thanks for posting your detailed experiences with the current skill game. But I still wonder.... isn't poker already a game of extreme skill? Why else do all the pros on this thread go after the various fish ponds [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2003, 02:31 PM

So does the fact that: You can make a (strategically) correct fold pre-flop, and your oppenent (on the other table) makes a mistake by calling or raising but then hits a lucky board. He gains a huge lead on you due to this luck on his part, and he goes on to win.

There is no less luck with this format than normal poker.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:04 PM

This looks interesting at least... I just d/led it and I'm waiting for one of these to start up. It'll keep me amused for a few minutes today at least.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:32 PM

Thats what Ive been saying since they announced it. There is no less luck or more skill at all. Now that I know they mix up the order its even worse, because a raising decision may be right short stacked or huge stacked that isnt right in the opposite situation. If anything, "duplicate poker" can DOUBLE the luck involved, because not only do you have a bad player that can be rewarded for playing his own cards wrong, but you now have two different opponents to make mistakes vs the same cards as well. They affect their own score and the other seats at their table. The concept is so poorly thought out that I can't believe someone lower in the chain of command couldnt convince senior management that it was nuts.

I still think that a nearly random sample of avid 2+2 readers could devise a format that comes closer to minimizing the luck factor than "skill poker" in a couple of days of throwing ideas around. The problem is finding something that both minimizes luck, but isnt so cut and dried that tables of hand EVs wouldnt be all you need to beat it.

In fact, just in typing the previous paragraph I've "invented" a variation on a Video Draw poker tournament that comes far closer to their objective. Once the payoffs for different hands are set, there are right ways and wrong ways to play every draw. Instead of dealing the rest of the cards, payoff based on the EV of their play, "deal" the same cards to everyone, and see who survives the longest. To add more skill to it, vary the payoff ratios when the "ante" increases, and give the players 10 minutes (no calculators allowed) to revise their strategy.

As far as them having more players at "poker.com" I think that may be a bit of creative wording. Their initial business (under the current management, which bought the name from someone else, and that, by the way, spent $600,000 to become an AOL keyword) wasnt spreading games, but selling poker site software and developing a poker portal. MAYBE, if you totaled all the players at all the sites using any generation of their software, and including sites that bought it from the original vendor that poker.com purchased, MAYBE it would be more than party now. As far as the portal goes, I think several posters here have a better portal than poker.com ever did.

I bought their stock at 62 cents and got out at 2.80. I may be one of the few "winners" from poker.com besides AOL who collected $600,000 for about $1.25 in programmers time.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:58 PM

How to eliminate luck as a factor?
How about this:
Have a huge mutli-table tournament, I'm talking big, like 10,000 or more.

Start everyone of with $10,000 in tournament chips.
Now have non escalating blinds of $1-2.
Play proceeds until you bust out, win all the chips, or get bored and cashout.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I still wonder.... isn't poker already a game of extreme skill? Why else do all the pros on this thread go after the various fish ponds

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, there's a significant amount of luck in poker, that's what keeps the ponds full. But there's also just enough skill to make it profitable in the long run for those who know what they're doing. In fact, poker is just about the perfect balance of luck and skill. Adding more skill to it would be self-defeating. This new site is doomed, even if they succeed, they will fail.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:49 PM

Default it was designed by a l\'li ole lady & a cop, Bingo players...

from the Wall Street Journal 10/16/03:

"Mr. Peterson says he was sitting at a bingo parlor when he first realized he could remove the element of chance from gambling. "I was having trouble keeping up with one card and the little old lady next to me was playing 12 cards while leaning over and playing my cards too," he says. "That stuck in my mind. I said to myself, 'That's a skill set.' ""

http://webreprints.djreprints.com/850891355932.html

LMAO! I'll say it again...skillpoker is a stock-promotion, their obvious intent is to advertise to investors, NOT poker players, sparing no LIES! If they ever go real money, does anyone believe the U.S. Congress will not place a padlock on the skillpokerdinky's website, tout de suite?

Also rerima-poker (gamingclub, etc.)...their money has always been GREEN w/me.

Not so green w/thepokerclub...my account has been disabled for months w/some $40+ bonus-monies remaining and skillpoker.com is such a joke, if anyone sees me in there, please throw a drink in my face.

cmwings/mrducks