Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 09:39 AM

Default turn strategy question

5-10 live

just back from break, had to post MP. got K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Checked option, 6 players.

Flop comes 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Checked to me, I lead, all call. (12 sb's)

Turn is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] sb checks, BB leads out one fold, one caller to me. (8 BB)

Here is my question with 2 left behind me. Probably one or maybe both will call. I know you won't fold the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or a 9 (obviously) and want small diamond to stay.

I reasoned at time to raise to charge those holdings to draw against my flush or to possibly fold a paired 4 or 7.

Was my reasoning justified or should I have gone for overcalls on turn and waited to raise on river IF bet into?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Re: turn strategy question

I like your reasoning; you do want to charge the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] to draw or any 9. IMO you don't even give up any value (and may even gain some) because on this board there's likely to be draws that will pay on the turn but not the river anyways.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I reasoned at time to raise to charge those holdings to draw against my flush or to possibly fold a paired 4 or 7.

Was my reasoning justified or should I have gone for overcalls on turn and waited to raise on river IF bet into?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a definite turn raise. Charge the players already in for 1 more BB and make it expensive for players holding 1 single [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] to draw against you. Sure, we do not want to fold for example 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], but you have a huge equity on this turn. The players already in will probably pay you 2BB more when you raise and you even have the chance of getting cold callers (the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] will definately cold call for one). You're almost guaranteed 2BB by raising with the chance of gaining up to 6BB (even more if you get 3-betted). The maximum you can make by going for overcalls is the minimum you'll make by raising. Besides, draws will pay off on the turn but not on the river. Easy raise!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:41 AM

I like leading out here the way you did. It's important to find out as quickly as possible whether or not you are up against the nut flush or a boat. If I got raised on the turn, I would probably check/call on the river