Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Moneymake:In poker \"practice makes perfect\" True?

Vincent,

You are taking the statement way too literally. It is called a figure of speech. "Practice makes perfect," doesn't literally mean if you practice you will be "perfect." It obviously means you will keep improving greatly the more you practice. This is very true in poker and I believe experience is most of what makes a great player better than a good player.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:51 PM

Agreed!
Old 10-24-2005, 05:06 PM

Larry,

I admit that I treated the statement that "practice makes perfect" literally. That is "obvious". Why else would there be a reason for this thread. O.K maybe you are right I am "obviously" a moron.

"Practice makes perfect" is a figure of speech. Practice does not make perfect we all know that. In fact I began by stating that this figure of speech would make for an interesting discussion. Where I made my mistake was doing exactly what I accused Daniel Negreanu of doing. I associated the statement with a well known poker celebrity. He used Howard Lederrer and I used Moneymaker. I know that now. My intention in using Monemaker was "obvious". A rather weak attempt at one-upmanship. For that I apologize to Moneymaker.

Now to the more important point of "practice makes perfect". Playing poker will not improve your (everyone's) game. I repeat "the act of playing poker in and of itself will not improve your (everyone') game."

True there is no substitue for experience in the learning process. But experience is in and of itself not a teacher. It is a reinforcement process of something learned. It is a confidence builder. It is somewhat a search and apply tool. But it is an aid to learning and only an aid. Practicing something that is incorrect will not improve your game. Although I have a buddy that seems to think that it will. He takes the position that if you are a poor (losing) poker player and practice to play like a player that is a little less of a loser less and play like him then you have improved your game even if the way he plays is incorrect. I consider that a warped way of looking at practice. However, taking Moneymaker's staement literally that is exactly what new players to Pokerstars can expect. They can expect to learn by playing. They can expect to learn from poor poker players. The more they play the better they will get at playing incorrectly. Unless...well I think the unless is "obvious"

Vince
Old 10-24-2005, 05:30 PM

Vince you just said that if a losing poker player(lets say negative 100 an hour) practices to play like his buddy (who only loses -$10 an hour) hasn't improved his game if he practices that style. You have to see you made a mistake her right? Just because you don't approve with his choice of whose style he practiced and shoulda practiced Daniel N's style doesn't mean he hasn't im proved. Do you see that?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:10 PM

Why don't you reread what I said. Maybe you don't read so good. I said that your way of looking at things is "warped". Or am I making that up?

Vince
Old 10-24-2005, 06:59 PM

You are saying that you didnt say you were right and i was wrong? That practicing something that is incorrect cannot improve your game. I say it can imnprove your game and you are saying it cannot. You said it in black and whitew. "playing poker incorrectly cannot improve your game" you then went on to say i have a buddy that seems to think it can. You are saying you are not saying you are right and i am wrong? you are now backpeddling. Of course you said that. Maybe you need to reread it. The part about saying its warped thinking only portrays how you feel about learning and practicing to play incorrectly. It doesn't say you now agree with me that you can play inccorrectly and improve. And either way you are wrong somewhere. Either you take the stance that its incorrect or you say it is correct and just warped. You made a statement that its incorrect. Then said you had a buddy that says he seems to think its correct. Then you say you didnt say its incorrect and just wapred, Make up your mind and stick to it! Stop sipping the win when you post! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
practicing something that is incorrect cannot improve your game. I say it can imnprove your game and you are saying it cannot. You said it in black and whitew. "playing poker incorrectly cannot improve your game"

[/ QUOTE ]

O.K. I stand by what I said. If you want to promote playing incorretly to improve one's game I sti llbelieve that is a warped way of looking at things. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe promoting learning by practicing playing poker correctly is the warped way of looking at things. You win.

Vince
Old 10-24-2005, 07:15 PM

Ok you stand by you cannot improve your game playing incorrectly. Then i shopwed you an example where if you practice the playing style of a $10 an hour loser and you are an 100 an hour loser you will improve. What do you have to say to that. I think it clearly shows you to be wrong.

When did i ever promote playing incorrectly to improve one's game? I just answered your incorrect statement that you cannot improve practicing something that in incorrect. Obviously they would be much better off practicing how vince lepore plays. But does not mean they cant improve practicing what a lesser loser than them does. You shouldn't put words in people's mouths that they never said.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:01 AM

I think that practice does make perfect but only so long as you are constantly learning from that practice, there is little point in playing even 100,000 hands if you arent constantly engaging your brain to figure out why one thing works well in one situation and another in another or why its good to raise against one player but fold against another.

Reading books is also obviously important too, may as well stand on the shoulders of the giants rather than doing the whole climb yourself.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:32 AM

Somebody else replied with the same quotes I was going to...but I'll reiterate them. When I played golf, this was an important lesson driven into my head.

Practice makes permanent...Perfect practice makes perfect

There are many poker players who play alot, but if they can't figure out proper odds and what not, they will forever be playing a losing game.