Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Pushing with a low stack at final table

Whats your pushing standards when you have less than 10 Big Blinds left? I was at a final table today and busted out 6th when I pushed allin with A2 suited and was called by AQ. I had about 8 big blinds left and was going be hit by the blinds in 2 hands. When I pushed I'm just hoping to get the blinds and thought if I'm calld by pair or face cards at least I have outs to my Ace. But my thinking is changing since If get called I'm most likely dominated by a better Ace.

Now I'm thinking of waiting for a drawing hand like J10 or small suited connectors so at least I have a live hand. Is my thinking off line here? What do you guys do in these situations?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Pushing with a low stack at final table

pray you don't get called.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:51 PM

I'd make that push, you obviously don't want a better ace or a pair calling you there, but against any other hand, you are doing well against. To put it in perspective, against a dominated ace, you are about a 31% chance to win, and against a pair, about the same (cept aces). Against any other 2 cards, you are ahead.

With JTs, you are slightly behind to any ace with a card below your JT, about 40% against a strong ace, and a slight favorite over a lower pair under 77, and slight dog to 88 or 99, and big dog to any higher pair.

So yeah, I think JTs is better to push with too after doing the pokerstove, but I'd still make that push with Axs to try to take out the blinds.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:07 PM

I wouldn't push a small ace from early position. I would if I were first in in late position. Are there antes?
You seem to have identified the problem with pushing ace-small in early position. Up front I want a decent ace, or a pair, or a hand with some potential like those mid-suited connectors or paint (or if I'm severely short stacked, two cards. Though I might make a move with just one if it was a good one).

Mostly though beggars can't be choosers and I usually end up pushing multiple hands that look pretty good.