Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Is it good to stay in the red zone?

[ QUOTE ]
I still think your theory is ridiculous. It has truth to it, but that doesn't defeat the simple premise that when you have a shorter stack, the ideal outcome of these slightly more abundant +EV situations is that you then double that stack. You may have more opportunities for +EV, and it's certainly a bit simpler to play, but your ideal result is a double up, which leaves you with your less ideal stack. It's not that your theory doesn't have merit - it's just irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

But maybe you shouldn't take unnecessary risks to obtain pr maintain this medium stack when you can get it more easily with a short stack.

Also you can maintain a short stack for a long time and then turn it into a medium or large stack when you get the right opportunities.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:12 PM

wow lol. As if poker isnt easy enough with 10 BBs... or even 20 BBs
Old 10-25-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's easy to be right for the sake of being right. It's much less trivial to maximize your EV in a tournament. To win the tournament, you must accumulate all the chips in play. Having more chips in a tournament increases your EV, at the cost of having to make more difficult decisions. Am I missing something here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I won $5K in an online tournament once. I finished 8th. I was in 3rd place with 4.5xBB when I busted out. In this case, I was in the top 5 most of the time since there were 200 left. However, it would have been possible to stay in the red zone the whole way and win the tournament.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I still think your theory is ridiculous. It has truth to it, but that doesn't defeat the simple premise that when you have a shorter stack, the ideal outcome of these slightly more abundant +EV situations is that you then double that stack. You may have more opportunities for +EV, and it's certainly a bit simpler to play, but your ideal result is a double up, which leaves you with your less ideal stack. It's not that your theory doesn't have merit - it's just irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

But maybe you shouldn't take unnecessary risks to obtain pr maintain this medium stack when you can get it more easily with a short stack.

Also you can maintain a short stack for a long time and then turn it into a medium or large stack when you get the right opportunities.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, working on your medium stack game is necessary, not ignoring it and just working with short or big stacks.

And of course you turn a short stack into a medium one when you get the right opportunities - we didn't need this theory to tell us to take +EV situations.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:03 PM

congrats for being very lucky

You dont win tournaments when your constantly allin with your tourny life on the line.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I won $5K in an online tournament once. I finished 8th. I was in 3rd place with 4.5xBB when I busted out. In this case, I was in the top 5 most of the time since there were 200 left. However, it would have been possible to stay in the red zone the whole way and win the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, so if the entire field is extremely short, it is like you're taking an arithmetic exam (as opposed to a diff. eq. exam). So, you get an A here for knowing 7*8 = 56. It's a different story when the average itself is above the "red zone."

My analogies suck.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I think it would just be better to focus on learning how to play an average/medium stack size more efficiently in order not to have to worry about this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-25-2005, 03:22 PM

i can see the idea of the thing, but being short stacked sucks, and i wouldnt get much thrill out of putting my tournament life on the line every orbit.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I think it is advantagous to maintain an M of 5 or less. That way, you can make EV+ pushes with marginal hands and more EV+ pushes and calls with big hands.

I don't think it is necessarily worthwhile to make marginal pushes with like 9xBB with a small ante or no ante. If I get blinded down, I will have better opportunities.

[/ QUOTE ]
9BBs (and no ante) = M of 6 = for all practical purposes not any different from M of 5.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:23 PM

Don't you have more +EV pushes with a short stack because your EV is so low to begin with?