Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Poker on TV should have a disclaimer....

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you are correct, all the production personell work for free.

The main point of the OP is that this stuff is important, it is not. As evidenced by the decision to not provide this information. Now my time has become more important than responding to you again. No more production costs for me in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

The think the decision to not share this information is due to the idea that the audience is completly stupid and could care less. Anything they add to the game on tv seems to help. Hole cams, heart monitors, etc. A little more insight would be nice yes...

and 1 line of added text doesn't cost any money.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:00 PM

I do. And to be honest since watching those shows. It is very hard to put up with the WPT. It's not exciting to watch all-ins every hand.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do. And to be honest since watching those shows. It is very hard to put up with the WPT. It's not exciting to watch all-ins every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
i feel the same way. the same old all in, coin flip situations are a bore. i want to see poker being played. i want to see a hand played out every once in a while.
i think it's safe to say that most people on 2+2 would appreciate real poker and not just what looks good on tv. and it would be nice to have a update about who is the new chip leader at the table. every time a player enters a pot, the amount of chips he has would be good info, and not too hard to calculate, especially at a featured table.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If 50-80 million people played chess, with even more people interested in watching it. I am sure you would see it on TV. That is a no brainer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chess HAS been televised. The last series of matches between Kasparov & the supercomputer were broadcast live (I think) on ESPN2. I watched some of it and found it interesting. It helps that they had (a) good analysts, (b) lots of back stories to fill in the dead spots, and (c) the fact that the matches didn't last nearly as long as your average final table.

As for the original post, I share his frustration at the lack of info in most telecasts. I do not, however, feel a disclaimer is necessary.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The average Joe, (most of my friends) believe that holdem is played this way and all hands are all-in situations. Doesn't bother them that chip counts change every commercial break. It's a non-issue or a mystery to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem with the average Joe thinking this. The last thing I want is for all of the fish who are gonna jump onto Party after watching a WSOP episode, to know that you are gonna fold 2 orbits worth of hands before you get one you can play. Let them keep thinking they should be in every other hand. I have no problem with this.

As far as watching TV tournaments, anyone who is watching for the purpose of anything other than entertainment is insane. It's for entertainment, that's all. And they're only going to televise entertaining parts of the tournament.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:54 AM

If Fox sports ran WSOP telecasts, I bet they would have a ton of overlays. Hand #, stack size, bet amount, hobbies, etc. Maybe even smoke trails when sombody pushes their chips all in. Endless possibilities.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know myself would like to see more of the in-between grind em out hands but we all know "this isn't good TV". At least let the non-educated viewing audience in on the secret.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, haven't you noticed that the first hand of every WPT show is a single raise where everyone folds? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chess HAS been televised. The last series of matches between Kasparov & the supercomputer were broadcast live (I think) on ESPN2. I watched some of it and found it interesting. It helps that they had (a) good analysts, (b) lots of back stories to fill in the dead spots, and (c) the fact that the matches didn't last nearly as long as your average final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, they were live. And game 1 of the match did a better rating than the average WSOP broadcast that year (going off memory, it had a couple hundred thousand more viewers - I worked at the USCF at the time and looked into it, but I can't remember the exact data now). To be fair, this was 2003, so while poker was "hot", it had not reached the level of the 2004 WSOP broadcasts.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:58 AM

TV's WSOP = <font color="blue">W</font>itless <font color="blue">S</font>uck-<font color="blue">O</font>ut <font color="blue">P</font>layers
Old 10-25-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe even smoke trails when sombody pushes their chips all in. Endless possibilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha, this would be awesome. They could also have a little "Right Now!" box that pops up with the chip counts of the players in the hand, and a slow motion of the guy flipping over his cards after he calls.