Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group 4 - Ten vs. Three
Bloodsport (10) 82 63.57%
Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (3) 47 36.43%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Q\'s in first hand of MTT

Just curious if I made the right move here, I didnt have position. I had two folds after the BB, then a raise to 60 (blinds 10/20), I reraised to 160, everyone folded back to the original raiser, who went all in. Should I lay down Q's now? Keep in mind this is the Paradise Big Buck so I expect alot of players to make bad moves, so nothing led me to believe he would have A's or K's(which he had). Just wondering if I should have folded my Q's or I was correct to call his all in?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Q\'s in first hand of MTT

does "Big Buck" mean it's a $1 tourament?

If this is anything <$50 i'm calling. I'd probably call in bigger buyins than that too, but i'd think about it a bit more.

edit: i should have been clearer, the reason i'd do it in a smaller tournamet is because their range would be much wider. Doesnt have to do with the $.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:16 PM

Yes Big Buck is a dollar, I am using it as practice so obviously losing the $1 isnt a big deal. I felt I made the right move, but I want to look at it objectively not factoring in the buy in, just in general.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:18 PM

definetly a call here, he is not going to push with K's or A's, but there is a strong possibility that he's pushing with AK, so you have to be willing to take that chance. its likely that he doesnt have any pair, i would probably put him on Ax, x being J or lower, possibly suited, but i wouldnt worry about it.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:24 PM

The thing is, the amount of buyin will determine alot. $1 is going to attract a much different level of player than a couple hundred dollar buy-in. You want to know if you made the right based on your cards, which isnt possible. You have to factor in their style as well. If this was a couple hundred dollar tourney, you have to factor in that you are most likely playing a higher level player and I'd fold in that spot. I figure only JJ, KK, or AK would push there, but maybe a very strangely played AA are going to reraise. For a dollar entry, you have to figure you're way ahead of his range and call. But overall, just remember that you can't really make a decision based solely on your cards, unless we're talking about AA or KK (though there are very, very few spots where I'd fold KK preflop such as raise, reraise and then a rock goes all in over that).
Old 10-24-2005, 04:28 PM

I get what your saying, it was the first hand, I had absolutely no info on this guy. I just assumed he was not that strong, I mean really only 2 hands terrified me AA and KK. And what are the odds that Q's and K's hit on the first hand of a MTT? Probably not good, so I guess I made the right call.