Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Not sure if I played this well or not -- drawing to gutshot!

$100NL Full Ring -- PP. $1BB.

Hero is BB with 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG + 1 raises to $3. MP1 calls. Button calls. I call.

Do you like this call?

Flop comes:

A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check. UTG + 1 bets $4, Button calls $4, I call.

Do you like this call? I felt like I was getting good implied odds for my gutshot + backdoor flush. I think this might be the first time I've ever drawn to a gutshot in my life.

Turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check. Villain bets $8, Button calls, I call.

I now have a double gutshot and a flush draw. Easy call.

River is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, villain bets $15, button calls, I call.

This call was probably weak-tight. I got my flush, but the board paired. The player that raised every round only had $15 more, but AT was high on my radar list.

Rip me apart.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Not sure if I played this well or not -- drawing to gutshot!

if bettor is all in at the river, why don't you checkraise the river and get some value from button.

edit: nevermind, i'm dumb and for some reason thought you were holding A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2005, 08:58 PM

pre-flop looks ok.

I fold the flop.

I might stick a strong raise in on the turn if it's unlikely to be reraised, but I don't know how the villain is or how aggressive the table has been playing in your situation so calling looks ok.

EDIT: Because the bettor only has $15 behind I push. The guy in the middle would have raised the river with a boat (hopefully), and there's no way the bettor is folding trip aces with pot odds that big.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:05 PM

I'm no poker guru, but here are my thoughts:

-I'd fold to a pf raise w/ low suited connectors.
-If I happen to call, and got that flop, I'd haul azz away from any betting. Implied odds or not, a gutshot is definitely not worth it. (Especially three handed.) Also, you do have a backdoor flush, but you'd have THE lowest possible flush. If I was going for a longshot straight or a flush draw, I better have the nuts (or second nuts, with a flush.)
-Turn call is good.
-On the river, I'd doubt I'd see anyone with a boat. UTG+1 raised pf, so I wouldn't think that he'd be holding A10, and MP1 smooth called the whole way. I'd assume if MP1 flopped 2 pair he'd reraise UTG+1. I'd probably just call the river bet, but I think I lean more towards being weak-tight myself.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:12 PM

Oh man, you guys are completely right. No way does the button have a FH even if UTG+1 does. Since UTG+1 is almost out of money, I should have put the button all-in. Thanks for the input.

Specifics about this table . . . I know with ~90% certainty that I will stack anyone holding AK/AQ/AJ should I hit my straight, which is why I feel I have the implied odds.

I am too weak-tight though . . . can't believe I just called the river.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:17 PM

PREFLOP: I may or may not call this from the BB...depends on the other players and what they'd raise with, my table image, my stack, the time of day, the weather, and how the Vancouver Canucks did at their last home game

FLOP: I don't think I'd ever call this

TURN: I call, just like you did

RIVER: reraise that guy all-in
Old 10-23-2005, 09:31 PM

If you guys have full stacks, I actually like the call on the flop. You have 5:1 odds on a 10:1 shot, plus backdoor draw.

turn good, raise river.

Preflop I only call if UTG+1 has a low enough pfr.

edit: throwin some math in here, when you hit a 2 on the turn, you need to get on average about another $20 of some one else's money in the pot. Note that the pot will be $20 at this point, and seeing as there was a bet and a call on a (nearly [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) drawless flop, I think some one will pay you off.