Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Betting and Game Theory post

I was trying to get a solid grasp of game theory, and have posted in the Theory section (by all means please check the post as I'd love some SSHE feedback). http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...=1#Post3746181

One poster mentioned a game theory analysis of betting 2/3 pot vs full pot that was discussed in this forum a while ago. Does anyone have the link to that post?

[ QUOTE ]
I do not have the post I have in mind handy and I did a search for it and couldn't find it.. it was lengthy and excellent.. but let me reiterate my thoughts on what I'm talking about.

A long while back there was a post in SSNL that compared the advantages of betting 2/3rds of the pot size instead of the full pot size. In a particular situation.

if you bet 2/3rds every time you stand to make less than betting the size of the pot every time. Even taking in to account the times your raised and have to fold or lose.

The poster weighed out each bet and proved that making a pt sized bet is indisputably the better option regarding EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Betting and Game Theory post

bump
Old 10-23-2005, 11:21 AM

I can't help you find that post, but Matt Matros's book ("Making of a Poker Player") talks briefly about this. He made the opposite assertion -- i.e., that 1/3 - 2/3-pot sized bets are superior to full pot bets. His argument was based on hearsay ("Jesus analyzed the game at length and came to conclusion X") so I can't provide details.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:36 AM

well they are professionals less likely to call full pot bets. at SSHE players that call 2/3 pot bets usually will call full pot bets as as well, so you are able to charge them more to draw and are thus able to greater exploit each of thier mistakes