Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: I knew party poker blackjack would be the end of me...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Come on dude, you know that internet blackjack can't be beaten(or should know). Why were you playing in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my roommates has a system that he says works well enough to beat the BJ on bodog. The max bet on Bodog is 500 I guess and he starts with 1 dollar bets and just keeping doubling if he loses, and according to him losing 9 straight hands in a row is nearly impossible. I dont even know the basic rules of BJ though so I couldnt tell ya...

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol i told geoff i would explain to him why this system was BS when i hadnt just downed like 12 drinks, ill have to talk to him soon.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:21 AM

It irritates me that people who know better are rewarding Partypoker for making this stupid addition to the software.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:35 AM

Yes, the general idea you present is the correct reason.

But a couple of things:

1. Not everybody is going to understand that. "1 in 512 chances of losing 9 straight....and I still make my $1. I don't see anything wrong with those odds!!"
So I don't even bother getting into such details because it goes over most people's heads imo.

2. Just to be technical:
in BJ it's not even close to a 50/50 proposition. Some of the player's 'options' help to even the score a little bit (such as doubling-down, splitting, and getting paid 3:2 on BJ).

I believe that for an 8-deck shoe game the breakdown would be something like:

Win - 42%
Lose - 49%
Push - 9%

I'm going off the top of my head here...and the numbers vary a bit based on number of decks and different rules. But I'm pretty sure these numbers are close to correct.

But again, when you factor in the advantage of correct doubling-down and BJ paying 3:2 then the player is probably at around a 1-1.5% disadvantage (not a 7% disadvantage as one might initially think from seeing the 42/49 win/loss ratio).

But it still holds just as true as before that the doubling-up 'martingale' strategy isn't such a hot idea.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:40 AM

lol pretty funny, well not for you.

Anyway every wannabe professional gambler has thought of the double up system. (I'm sure most people here have thought about it at sometime)

It works on everything, horse racing, roulette, blackjack. You just make a bet that allows you to win a little bit and if you lose you double it and eventually you have to win.

The problem is that it only has to not work once and you are bust.

You need a [censored] load of money for it to really work(unlikely events do happen I'm sure you have seen AAAA boards at poker) and even then if you had $1billion why would you be playing $1 blackjack.

Next time you are bored of playing online poker go play some free online game like chess or whatever. Dont do something stupid like play BJ or any other kind of gambling.

Compulsive gamblers always have to bet on something so make sure you dont feel this need, if you do go get help.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:29 AM

Is it still considered -EV if you're working on a bonus?
Old 10-22-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it still considered -EV if you're working on a bonus?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The only way to beat online blackjack is if you are working on a bonus. Of course, it depends on teh bonus's terms and conditions, wagering requirement, whether or not you can cash it out, etc... A $500 match bonus sounds good, but if its got a 200x Wagering Requirement, then the game is still -EV.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well almost at least...

I am still SOOOOO pissed off at myself.

I see two possibly good things coming out of this experiance. 1. It will motivate me to start putting the hours in again becasue I have to. 2. Maybe if I do have some sort of potential gambling problem this will be my wakeup call.

I dont really have anything else to say. Just venting, Id like to hear what others have to say about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

BEEN THERE. And this is a wakeup call. Please consider yourself lucky to still have $2,500 bankroll. That already is more than a lot of people have. Many of us, (including me), would have blown away that last $2,500, in that you become very desensitized to money loss when you are in the middle of bj tilt.

Yes you have learned your lesson. Or have you? Have you deleted party bj? Side bets? Keep up with poker. It sounds like you are beating the game, just don't try to beat the house.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if I'm clearing boni.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Come on dude, you know that internet blackjack can't be beaten(or should know). Why were you playing in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my roommates has a system that he says works well enough to beat the BJ on bodog. The max bet on Bodog is 500 I guess and he starts with 1 dollar bets and just keeping doubling if he loses, and according to him losing 9 straight hands in a row is nearly impossible. I dont even know the basic rules of BJ though so I couldnt tell ya...

[/ QUOTE ]

please please tell me this isn't serious
Old 10-22-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you become very desensitized to money loss when you are in the middle of bj tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

peace

john nickle