Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 05:32 PM

Default JJ overpair, case for an overbet

The overbet is something mentioned by alot of players and a few of the books. At the levels I've played I haven't seen any great use for it althought I'm sure there must be. Therefore the primary point of this post is to start a discussion about the overbet. Do you use it? If so when and why? The obvious answer is against an awful player who you know will pay you off but there are others I'm sure.

Anyway heres the JJ hand

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font> CO calls Button calls, Hero raises to $5, BB calls, CO folds, Button Calls

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero raises to $15, BB folds, Button calls

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button raises $20 Hero folds.

Stacks are $100

Preflop I'm trying to get heads up so I raised $5 rather than my normal $4, perhaps $6 would have been better. This kind of thing depends on table feel but I've only been here a few hands.

On the flop I'm trying to take it down, but this is my normal CB size. Here is where I was thinking of overbetting between $20-25 and shutting down if there was heavy action later. Good/bad?

Turn, I hate that card, I was 50:50 between firing again and checking. I expect a flush and TJ-TA will simply flat call so I'd be firing OOP with no information for the river.

Once he checks I'm pretty sure I'm good but the river is obviously a disaster.

No reads I've only been here 3 hands. So assume standard party NL$100 players.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: JJ overpair, case for an overbet

This looks fine to me. Hands like this happen, move on and just try to forget about it.