Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: $10/$20 hand-what would you do??

It would normally be foolish to disagree with Jeffage on any play advice, but I would probably check the flop as well. It is moments like this that separates the good players from the bad players. My move on the turn?...err, whatever you want to do.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:30 PM

No disrespect to Jeffage. I don't post here a lot as I am a NL player. However, this hand got me thinking about what to do and I had to post it. He could be right but it doesn't seem right to me. Again, I am just a simple No Limit player and in a NL game the options for play differ significantly.

Indy
Old 10-21-2005, 04:32 PM

You said, you saw the flop with 4 opponents. So I would assume that to mean: UTG, Hero, Preflop raiser, one caller, and one blind. Half of your opponents have checked and two remain to act behind you, inc. the preflop raiser. I would bet and see what happens. A couple more opponents and I'd lean towards checking. You may have the best hand and if you get checkraised or preflop aggressor raises you and someone coldcalls, you can let it go. I just think betting the flop here has a number of benefits after what has transpired when the action gets to you.

I don't think checking is horrible.

Jeff
Old 10-21-2005, 04:34 PM

Bet the flop, check the turn and if bet into, check-raise. You need to send a message you aren't one to be reckoned with.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:34 PM

Thanks Jeffage. And yes, you are clear on the number of players and the situation. I just thought with all the preflop action that I should follow the "no set, no bet" idea of limit HE.

Indy
Old 10-21-2005, 05:10 PM

You have 5 players in a raised pot.... I think anyone that holds a Q would most definetely bet, as the pot has become large, and there are potentially good hands to pay you off. Once the hand is checked through, one has to think that someone is slowplaying a monster, or it is very possible that your 8's are good. The possibility of somebody having 9's or 10's is the reason why I would raise this turn. If reraised, you can easily release. I don't like betting this flop, because for one bet players will generally call with hands like 9's, 10's, 7's, AK and maybe even a hand like J10. If the preflop raiser bets, you can either fold or checkraise!

I like a check in this spot most of the time!

Sleeper
Old 10-21-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting the flop sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Plz elaborate.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:18 PM

I think betting the flop is best! You can use his raise to drive out other players. Also if someone check then 3-bets his raise you know right where you are for the bargain price of 1SB. I think the turn situation sucks! Thats why you need to bet the flop. The turn is a raise or fold.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:55 PM

Hi Indiana,

The big blind may well have a queen. Many players check to the raiser no matter how hard they hit the flop.

Still, you have a strong hand given the action so far. The pot is big enough that you probably can't fold, and if you're not folding you should raise. There are lots of hands that you can knock out and save yourself the pot vs the big blind's 7-whatever.

good luck.
eric
Old 10-21-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet that flop to gain info.

[/ QUOTE ]

What information do you gain by betting this? If the raiser calls, you are ahead? or maybe behind. What about if he raises? Then you could easily be ahead or behind, but who knows which. Well, at least you opened the betting so that, if the pfr was actually going to check, you could get check-raised by a Q and actually have paid more than necessary to ensure that you do not get a chance to draw out on the turn. Huh?

It's MUCH cheaper to just check to the raiser here and let the action from his autobet back to you let you decide what to do. If he bets and everybody folds, you might continue. He bets and gets action? fold. He checks? Woo hoo, free turn. You are slightly ahead or way behind. This is not the time to ensure a Q can check-raise.

my 2 cents.
eric