Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: how do i manage a large stack in $3 stars tourney

The post wasn't bad...the raise was. The post was actually very good if you learned from the responses what you did wrong, so you won't do it next time you're in this situation.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:43 PM

Heres a little insight about bullying...

A raise here isn't necessarily bad if you can get them all to fold to your 4x bb raise, and it adds to your stack when they do fold.

But, when they reraised all in, you gotta think that at best, you are at the losing end of a coinflip, and likely either up against a hand like AT that still is a favorite, against 2 overs that has better odds on you than that, or against AJ, AQ, KQ, JJ+ which has you completely dominated.

You want to be the guy in control of the hand, it's better to go all in with a hand like this than to ever call an all in with this. You want to be the raiser, not the caller, and so the original raise wasn't too bad (I would have probably called instead of raising here still, good multiway hand), but a call here would be very bad for over 1/3 of your stack.

Also, keep a few things in mind in the future when calling an all in...

Was I reraised by someone not yet in the hand? That usually indicates strength...

Was I reraised by someone who isn't in desperation mode while I was the big stack? That is a sign that they really feel confident about their hand.

Was I reraised holding hand that is easily dominated? Remember this, if you are caught raising with a hand like this and call, you are going to have everyone else at the table never respecting your raises again after this, and are going to get played back at more often. If they think you will call a reraise holding things like JQ, they will reraise you holding hands that can easily beat that, but are not as likely to reraise you with junk. You will also get more callers in the future if they remember a hand like this. Remember to study how you look to others at the table, others will be studying you...

Was I reraised by a smaller stack that isn't going to damage my stack? I'd say that if you have to call for over 1/4th of your stack, you want a hand that is going to have a good chance of winning. Even 1/5th is pushing it IMO.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:52 AM

This is very useful info. Thanks for posting it. (I want to be a bully when I grow up - pokerwise that is!)
Old 10-21-2005, 02:15 AM

QJs is a great hand to 'punish limpers' with because you can rep an A or K high flop and get a smaller pocket pair to fold, and if they play back at you on a Q or J high flop because they think you have AK, you can win a big pot. I think I remember someone writing about this when Zeejustin did this with QJ and he busted gator93 who had 99 or something.