Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: 10/20 limit, quick turn issue HU

I think you bet and give him a chance to fold. He might have been willing to call a small bet on the flop with K-K-Q-J but not a big bet on the turn. Or if he's pulling for low, he might not be willing to throw down a big bet heads up for 1/2 the pot. The turn card couldn't possibly have helped him. The only way he seems to have you is if he's got a 7, but I am guessing he would have bet out if he hit and try to get you, who he might think has a low hand, to fold. I know I would bet there and not risk giving you a chance at a free card to make a low, if I had a high hand.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:42 PM

That's all sound poker theory and a good reason to bet, but maybe it simplifies the situation a little bit. That KKxx hand might call the flop, for sure. If I bet again, it might call but it probably folds. The loose player might even stick around with lots of weaker hands thinking I'm FOS - and he'll often bet these hands regardless of the river when I check. I don't want these overpair hands to fold the turn if they'll bet the river.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:51 PM

Why give him a free card to draw out on you? If he won't call for 1 bet on the turn what makes you think he will call on the river if he doesn't fill?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's all sound poker theory and a good reason to bet, but maybe it simplifies the situation a little bit. That KKxx hand might call the flop, for sure. If I bet again, it might call but it probably folds. The loose player might even stick around with lots of weaker hands thinking I'm FOS - and he'll often bet these hands regardless of the river when I check. I don't want these overpair hands to fold the turn if they'll bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I had typed something in my response about why you don't want to check and give him the chance to hang around, but I deleted it because I thought the idea was obvious.

If you think you're definitely far enough ahead to check and bring him along ... good luck. I don't see how it's close as opposed to betting.