Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 08:52 AM

Default Flopped set HU, Give him a free card?

I just played this hand and I was wondering if a better line would have been to check the flop. Villian just sat down maybe 1 orbit ago, no real reads, hasn't done anything extraordinary.

Pokerstars 2/4 6Max

Hero is CO with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 Folds, Hero Raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB Calls

Turn (5SB): J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villian Checks, Hero Bets, Villian Folds.

Is this pretty standard? If he led out my plan was to call, then raise the turn. Just trying to eek out a few more bets here and there.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Flopped set HU, Give him a free card?

after you steal you always bet the flop. i think it would be weird to not do it when you have floped something good. villian is likly to call with many hands on this flop so the best is just to bet so that it looks like your protecting the pot. but if i he bets, yes than it may be better to wait with the raising. And against really stupid opponents you might check this, but in generall you shuld bet

one bet is close to a freecard. they like to call
Old 10-20-2005, 11:34 AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with checking here. I don't think there's anything wrong with looking weird. Plus, against observant opponents, it will put the fear of God in them the next time you feel like checking a flop.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:38 AM

Yeah always bet. There's a lot of stuff that will peel here. You're just missing value if you check it through. The only time I check a monster is when I have all the cards tied up so its tough for people to have something like... I have K5 in the BB HU and the flop is KK5 , etc.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:49 AM

I would bet. Many times villian may play back at you hear with any piece of this.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:02 PM

Yeah, I felt that raising, then checking the flop heads up would look more suspicous, and probably kill any later action anyways. Turns out this guy was pretty passive and folded lots of flops.

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:43 PM

always bet after you raise unless it's multi handed and you flopped nothing. As played you have to bet here because you should ALWAYS bet here...doing something different is marking yourself with a big hand....bet and hope to get raised by someone with a jack...if your opponent didn't flop anything, they aren't going to bet or call a bet anyway.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's anything wrong with checking here. I don't think there's anything wrong with looking weird. Plus, against observant opponents, it will put the fear of God in them the next time you feel like checking a flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do. You are getting called by TONS of hands on the flop. Overcards, lone aces, undercards to J, flopped pairs, pocket pairs, backdoor straights w/some card hoping to pair up, OESD's, gutshots.

Lots of hands will peel on the flop hoping to improve their draw and whatnot. If they don't, they will fold the turn. Let them pay while it's still cheap.

In the long run, checking behind is an inferior play. Maybe it's good in a really tough game, who knows. But Stars 2/4 isn't that game. This is value betting donkeys territory.