Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Re: A Theoretical Question about Isolationism

[ QUOTE ]
We know the US has not told the truth. We have no similar reasons to distrust the terrorists. And what they say is logical. They say they want to rule "arabia" free of western influence. Why exactly don't you believe them?

[/ QUOTE ]
The US may not have told the truth (whatever that is, in wartime). I'm not really sure who "them" are -- radical Islam is about the best I can come up with. There are many reasons not to trust them. Yassir Arafat dedicated his life to breaking agreements, and was greatly admired for it. To the Nation of Islam, we are infidels -- trust and honor is not a part of that equation. They want respect -- the one thing it is nearly impossible for the West to give them. Even without the West as an enemy, there hasn't been peace in "arabia" -- their zealotry and fighting over religious doctrine doesn't require the US or Israel. The best hope is they can learn to live together -- and then we can take it from there.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:26 AM

>>We have no similar reasons to distrust the terrorists. <<

The terrorists, along with their financiers and supporters and cheerleaders, have said all along they want to destroy Western culture and civilization by committing mass murder of innocent civilians on a massive scale.

And yes, I take them at their word. That is why they must be totally annihilated.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"IMO, once we've isolated ourselves, the rest of the world is going to retaliate. They have to. Whether they'll come right out and admit it or not, the rest of the world depends on the US economy, protection and financial aid. Our new policy shuts down all of that. The shutdown directly affects their economies and well being. It now becomes a matter of "national security" (sound familiar?), their survival."
-You

I don't see how say pulling our troops out of Germany or Japan would result in them cutting of trade with us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn’t ducking your post. I was gone most of yesterday and “she-who-must-be-obeyed” insisted she be taken out for dinner last night.
__________________________________________________ ______________

OK, I see your point, and this is an example of why I said I thought this would be a never-ending Sim game. It’s just so maddeningly complex and complicated.

When I first read the post I tried to picture a flow chart in my head: country A’s action results in country B doing, etc. It got out way of hand. I “told myself to move on,” but I came back and tried to give it a stab. I knew I shouldn’t, but I did. Like not being able to lay down TPLK.

I’ve tried to find import/export numbers for our trading partners, their partners, the EU, Asia and the Middle East. (warning: don’t go there!) Too complicated. I wanted to see if I could put the countries in columns of plusses and minuses (in dollars) to see who benefits, who loses, and to what degree.

Somebody in some back office in DC has probably already crunched the numbers. I think I’ve already said I believe the military pullout is to our benefit and inevitable. DOD has got to have already looked at the economics part of the scenario. They have offices doing nothing but “what if’s.”

I think I was over-simplifying while I was trying to express how I see the original proposition evolving. I expressed myself poorly. This whole thing is so BMP (beyond my pay grade). I think I’ve taken up a lot of space and offered very little. I’ll chalk it up to… whatever.

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]