Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Top pair on double paired board

first orbit around the table, no reads. Any comments?

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (11.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Re: Top pair on double paired board

Raise the flop for value.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:41 AM

Yeah, I don't see much reason to wait for the tunr. Raise the flop
Old 10-20-2005, 12:48 AM

Likewise, raise the flop. If he's betting his flush draw you want to make him pay, same way with Mp2 calling.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:16 AM

no one likes trapping the field for 2 on the turn rather than the flop? Popping the turn on a safe card looks good to me.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
first orbit around the table, no reads. Any comments?

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (11.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop - standard
Flop - I think you need to raise here. Why are you calling, afraid of 44?

Turn - the raise looks ok, but it would have played different had you raised the flop.

River i call this down. Looks like a good opportunity for a bluff - don't get fooled. If you've been pinned as tight, they might try to run you off your Kings up.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop - I think you need to raise here. Why are you calling, afraid of 44?

[/ QUOTE ]

No i called the flop to raise the turn.

I still like the turn raise because I can't protect on the flop and i can get more value out of it on the turn. Sure the flushes get in for one, but when they miss I can charge them on the turn. And if they hit i can maybe find a fold. Either way they're staying to see the turn.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:52 AM

I still like the turn raise because I can't protect on the flop and i can get more value out of it on the turn. Sure the flushes get in for one, but when they miss I can charge them on the turn. And if they hit i can maybe find a fold. Either way they're staying to see the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the right play. You don't protect your pair with a flop raise. Calling flop will most likely have the flop bettor lead out on the turn and now you face the MPs with 2 BB
Old 10-20-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the right play. You don't protect your pair with a flop raise. Calling flop will most likely have the flop bettor lead out on the turn and now you face the MPs with 2 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, no. MP1 is betting, MP2 calls, then we act, so we're not facing anyone with two cold. So we can't protect our hand and should be thinking about value. Much more value in a flop raise as MP1 and MP2 are both going to call. Who's to say that MP1 even leads the turn or if MP2 calls one bet, let alone two, on the turn.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, no. MP1 is betting, MP2 calls, then we act, so we're not facing anyone with two cold. So we can't protect our hand and should be thinking about value. Much more value in a flop raise as MP1 and MP2 are both going to call. Who's to say that MP1 even leads the turn or if MP2 calls one bet, let alone two, on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

The raise on the flop isn't for protection, it is to increase your Expected Value. Its a value raise, and you are given a great opportunity to raise here. you cannot let this one slip. This isn't a monster hand that you can slow play with, call the flop, pop the turn.

My food is on fire - gotta go!