Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Small Stack Strategy for multi-tabling? any opinions?

Hey all,

Forgive me if this has been discussed. I tried to search and didn't come up with exactly what I wanted.

I have read on this site that people have a favorable view of Getting Started in Hold Em as the new must read for beginners. But has anyone with more experience tried playing the Short Stack Strategy from his book while online multitabling?

I have had great (albeit short term)success with it, playing 4 tables, super tight just as he suggests, with 20-25 times the big blind. Whenever I get above 50bb in my stack, I leave the table and go to another one with the short stack again. It seems with loose competition, it is pretty easy to get people to call your all in when you are the short stack. Almost like they figure, "he can't hurt me, what the heck??" Plus you have less money to lose in one hand, which is helpful for me, because I have a hard time making good reads on players when playing more than 2 tables. Ed Miller seems pretty highly regarded around here, so what do you all think?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Small Stack Strategy for multi-tabling? any opinions?

I haven't read the book, but I have developed my own shortstack strategy. It has worked for me on all the limits Ive played, even micros. When I started whoring the Cryptos, I went to the NL .50/1.00 dollar tables. I sat down with 25 bucks and started my journey. I basically play TAG poker, while making 3/4 pot sized bets after flop. I raise 4 big bets pre-flop, no matter what Im holding. I don't like to leave just because I have had a good run. If the table is full of well funded fish, I will take the money and run when I get 75 bbs. If it is a table of tight players I will stay until I get tired or want to take a break. I like getting a read on the players and you can't be afraid to lose your stack after building it up, that is if the table conditions are tight. The loose tables will suck your built up stack, by calling your raises and having more family pots, thus increasing variance. I prefer getting the hand down to heads up or three way. I only play this way with unmentionable or bonuses. The tables at Cryptos and Absolute are pretty tight, and will respect your play for the most part. Also, make it a habit to fold to reraises. I have been a winning player since I learned this. I mean if a loose maniac is reraising and I have midpair top kicker or better, Im gonna gamble, but against 70 or so percent of the players you play against, they are surely ahead, and make sure you have a really strong hand or nut hand draw, with some decent odds.
Also When I get really short stacked(10 bb or less) I will play my hands more aggressive. After a normal raise, I tend to push after the flop, even if I hit a monster. Someone will call unless its heads up and pot odds are bad.If you get two or more callers you more inclined to get a call even with your monster. Sometimes slowplaying the monster heads up can induce a bluff, and double your stack. i could probably write all night on this crap. I haven't read the book by Ed, and his advice is surely alot better than the little I wrote here, but this is working for me, with bonus whoring and unmentionables.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:04 AM

There were a couple of good threads in Books/Publications.
Suggest you search there.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:10 AM

I like your post, and I dig that strategy. See Ed's book is geared towards beginners, and the small stack strategy is geared towards making NLHE into a 2 street game, by waiting for premium hands, and then only having enough to get all in by the flop, with hopefully a preflop advantage, so that newbies can't be bullied/bluffed in later streets, since decisions and pot sizes get bigger.

I have been playing for a few years now, and I am not worried about playing later streets when I am focused on 1 table online, or in B&Ms with players I have reads on, etc.

However, it occurred to me that using this strategy across multiple tables, would allow me to get big hands more often, and then get my money in early, while I am still the favorite, and move on to the next table.
I know Ed himself frequents these columns, so If you read this Ed, have you ever used this strategy online playing multiple tables? If so, any idea on results, in terms of BB/100?

Just tryin to see if anyone else thought the same thing.

mj
Old 10-20-2005, 02:47 AM

Do a search on Ed Miller's short stack strategy... here's a good thread that I saved.

Interesting anecdote: [ QUOTE ]
FWIW, Bill Robertie read GSIH and immediately called Dan Harrington to ask if the short stack system actually works. Dan said, "Works? That's the strategy I used my first six months playing no-limit."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-20-2005, 05:31 AM

after reading some of the link, Ill add that I rarely go all in unless Im trying to protect a nut flop. That depends how short stacked I am also. 25 bbs is alot to work with when you get used to it. I can push people off on these tight tables with a 5 dollar bet into a 8 dollar pot with 2 dollars left in my stack. They see me holding back like Im wanting them to take me all in. The whole key is too get it heads up. If you been sitting there with the same group, you need to check the flop after a preflop raise when ak,aq dosent hit when 2 or more other players are involved. The continuation bet is gold when your short stacked when you get it heads up. I have been playing for a couple of years, so my street play is solid. But I find this strategy to work well with the internet poker world. I haven't played live, but I think this would be profitable, but a skilled player should make more being fully stacked, with the higher rake and non-internet income opportunitys not being there. I really hope nobody ever writes a book about the advantages and income opportunities available by multi-tabling on the internet. Hmmmm maybe on second thought maybe someone should.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:34 AM

This strategy falls apart when you flop the nuts.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:18 AM

In a loose Fish infested table I agree. Not having a big stack to multiply with sucks. The strategy I use is for Tight experianced tables. IE bonus whore infested tables. This strategy is working fine for me. I don't have to keep more than a grand in neteller and have more flexibility with what I do keep in for poker. Most sites that have bonus structures for this strategy, don't cash out quickly like Party or Stars. Your money can be held up for a few days. I think eventualy since I just started messing with Absolute, that I will have to keep a bigger roll if I continue to play there. With their reload structure, I probably will have to adjust to take advantage of it. One thing with them is the least amount you can sit with is 40 bb. I have the available bankroll to play a full stack game, but I like the discipline I have gained from playing shortstacked.