Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: The pre-flop limp re-raise in limit HE

and you had ... ?

I limp-reraised with KJs today and lost big to 2 AJo on a Jack high board [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] and I thought why didn't I have KK/AA here?! villains didn't believe I had KK/AA.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:52 PM

by shitty, you mean like 88/Jts, right?
Old 10-18-2005, 04:58 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's my question too. I like LRR'ing with big suited cards and big pairs sometimes but I never know how to mix it up
Old 10-18-2005, 05:00 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
Expert high-limit players will mix up limp-reraising with AA, KK, and suited connectors like 89s. This way, with intelligent and observant opponents they disguise their hand and they get 'too much' respect on their 89s hands and they get paid off 'too much' on their AA and KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

on a bit of a tangent, does the fear of a limp-reraise, and the value it adds to AA/KK make a hand like 98s enough to limp UTG with, even very occasionally?
Old 10-18-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and you had ... ?

I limp-reraised with KJs today and lost big to 2 AJo on a Jack high board [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] and I thought why didn't I have KK/AA here?! villains didn't believe I had KK/AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

KJs has go to be the worst hand on the planet I have ever heard of to LRR with. It's extremely weak against a raiser and has minimal drawing value. I suppose you disguised your hand, but you had better back that up REAL WELL postflop to make it worth anything, and even then its still -ev in the long run. That might be viable with a very good opponent specific read but I wouldn't do it.

No one actually fears the LRR, limping from utg will probably just give you bad table image, not make people fear you.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's my question too. I like LRR'ing with big suited cards and big pairs sometimes but I never know how to mix it up

[/ QUOTE ]

Like with 77 after an LAG limps behind and another LAG who likes to talk smack raises...
Old 10-18-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you do just T9s, AA and KK you'll get plenty of action on your limp reraises, so long as you don't tell people these are the only hands you'll do it with [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-James
Old 10-18-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like with 77 after an LAG limps behind and another LAG who likes to talk smack raises...

[/ QUOTE ]

and making them fold 12 outs combined on the flop because they fear the godliness of THECLARKMEISTER
Old 10-18-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you do just T9s, AA and KK you'll get plenty of action on your limp reraises, so long as you don't tell people these are the only hands you'll do it with [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't do it much with AJs and KQs type hands? those are good times