Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Moving up Math help

I think the best advice I could give is to not worry about the maths, and just try it out. What's the worst that can happen? You make barely more than you would at the $33s. Best thing that can happen?? Probally a $15-$20 increase in hourly rate.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:38 AM

If we didn't have:

1) Any thread started by stanzee
2) Bad beats
3) Any thread that even thinks about the possibility of folding AA preflop
4) Any thread that asks OBVIOUS all-in/fold decitions
5) Any thread about someone who has a HUGE dick and big Roi and wants to know his exact ROI on the next level even though he has hasnt even shown one hand of his play.
6) Those threads started by skipperbob that have huge popularity( I dont get the jokes...)

7)Complaints about variance
8)talk about how is better to fold QQ preflop because I can get bigged edges later on.
9)threads that include easy push/fold questions.

10) The repetitive monthly whine by StupidSucker on "How terrible my game is".
11) Repetitive game announcements,

and, of course:

12)Threads that are easily answered by this:
because they've been asked every other week (or every week) for the last (X) years,

<font color="red">THERE WOULD ONLY BE TWO POSTS A WEEK ON THE FORUM!!!! </font>

(and, of course, we wouldn't have anybody to harass with cute posts!)

Doc
Old 10-18-2005, 01:41 PM

The extra 2000 chips add 15-20 mins to each tourney minimum. They also make a significant difference in early preflop play. If you are an overly aggressive early level player you will probably find a lot of quick exits even with the extra chips. ROI I believe will take a significant hit going from 33 to 55. I think the adjustment from 55 to 109 is a little easier on the wallet.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The extra 2000 chips add 15-20 mins to each tourney minimum. They also make a significant difference in early preflop play. If you are an overly aggressive early level player you will probably find a lot of quick exits even with the extra chips. ROI I believe will take a significant hit going from 33 to 55. I think the adjustment from 55 to 109 is a little easier on the wallet.

[/ QUOTE ]

i suspect that yes, 2000 chips extra would add 15-20 minute to the average tournament, but i think that is &gt; than the numbers i've heard (i believe it was 5-10 minutes, tops) added to the average game by adding 200 chips. i could be mistaken, but i thought the avg 800 chip game took something like 37 minutes and the avg 1000 chip game took like 45ish minutes?

maybe i'm totally in the dark since the beginning of the 75/150 thing. but then again, why care, if all else fails, playing a dozen of them should be enough to find out roughly how long the games take on average. if you're thinking of moving up, not giving it a shot for such reasons is totally silly.

c
Old 10-18-2005, 03:19 PM

15-20mins is way off, you'd be about right with your estimate citanul.

"ROI I believe will take a significant hit going from 33 to 55. I think the adjustment from 55 to 109 is a little easier on the wallet."

Other way around. 33s to 55s is easier than 55s to 109s.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:29 PM

I've played a bajillion SNGs at both the $33's and $55's.

Since they added the 75/150 level, the length of time for a SNG at the 33's is remarkably similar to the 55's. I would say that a 55 takes, on average, no longer than 5 minutes more than a 33 does now.

So, moving up will not have a detrimental effect on your hourly rate if you make all of the ridiculous assumptions that everybody makes about moving up. (ie, that your ROI will only drop a few points.)

One caveat, though: if you expect that you can move up to the 1000-chip games and beat it for 16% ROI right off the bat just because you are a poker marvel... you may meet with some disappointment.

As far as moving straight to the 109s: I've also tried this (skipping the 55's) on several previous occasions. My personal opinion is that it comes down to a bankroll concern above all else. If you can afford it and you are a winning player, then why not go for it? The reason why I was finally able to "stick" at the higher levels was because I finally stopped taking shots on a short roll.

Good luck.

Irieguy
Old 10-18-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
15-20mins is way off, you'd be about right with your estimate citanul.

"ROI I believe will take a significant hit going from 33 to 55. I think the adjustment from 55 to 109 is a little easier on the wallet."

Other way around. 33s to 55s is easier than 55s to 109s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything MrJ says here.

I would empahasize that the 1000-chip games take no where near 15-20 minutes longer than the 800 chip games since they added the new blind level.

Also, if you play in sets you don't really care about the average SNG length. You care about the average SNG ITM finish, since you don't start a new set until you are finished with the last one.

At the 33's my average set would take 40 minutes before the new limit. Now it's 45 minutes.

At the 55's a set now takes just under 50 minutes on average.

Irieguy
Old 10-18-2005, 08:21 PM

Irieguy is right. The transition from the 33s to the 55s was not a difficult one, especially compared to moving from the 55s to the 109s. Also, although your ROI will probably drop (though I know a few players whose ROI wasn't affected), your hourly rate should go up- I doubt your ROI will drop enough to lower your hourly rate. Its obvious that you are a winning player, so you should definitely move up. I would definitely advise against going from the 33s to the 109s.