Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 05:52 PM

Default I am new at short- handed, but I am forced to play it alot...

Hey, everybody. At the b&m I regularly play at, the only table I play at fluctuated between full and short- handed.

Now, I destroy 4&5 players, dominate full games, but just can't hold it together at 6 players....

Anyway, to note, for the full game, I play in accordance to SSHE,,HEPFAP,,TOP.

I did struggle wiht short- handed until I read HEPFAP and read the section on short- handed play. I loved the chapter "what you must realize." I used this concept at the 4 and 5 player, raising PF with all face cards, regardless of the kicker, (none of my opposition would reise PF unless they hold AA or AK.) I outplayed everyone post- flop and literally destroyed everyone's roll.

Anyway, this seems to extreme at 6 player, would you like to help me wrap my mind around the strategy adjustments?
Old 10-18-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: I am new at short- handed, but I am forced to play it alot...

There is a preflop chart somewhere if thatīs what you are searching for.

[ QUOTE ]
I used this concept at the 4 and 5 player, raising PF with all face cards

[/ QUOTE ]

This is way too aggro, Iīm guessing that you are running good if you think you are crushing it.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:11 PM

I'm with trix, these guys are either terrible to not adjust once they see you turn over some of this trash, or your are running really good. Rasising any paint is way too loose, even three handed.

Also, it's easy to mistake a good run of cards for 'crushing' a game.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:15 PM

Here is a thread that can help you

Pick up How Good is Your Limit Hold'em by Jim Brier if you want a good book on SH.

Also, there is no magic formula for 6-handed as opposed to 4-5 handed...you need to tighten up slightly with the addition of another player (depending obviously on the conditions of the game).

However, if you want a magic formula...you should be playing something between 22-30% of your hands and raising most of them pre-flop.

Raising PF with all face cards regardless of the kicker and your position is a good way to lose a lot of money at SH...also, your opposition will reraise with much less than AA or AK...A9, KJ, etc. For example, KTo is as low as I go UTG, but I will raise the blinds with K2s from the button or K8o (that is as low as I go and I play 27% of my hands). Also, once they realize you raise with garbage they will most likely adjust their game accordingly.

You sound like you ran hot and played with a lot of weak-tight B&M players. Definitely check out the link above, read HUSH and post hands and you will be on your way to playing better at 6-player.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hey, everybody. At the b&m I regularly play at, the only table I play at fluctuated between full and short- handed.

Now, I destroy 4&5 players, dominate full games, but just can't hold it together at 6 players....

Anyway, to note, for the full game, I play in accordance to SSHE,,HEPFAP,,TOP.

I did struggle wiht short- handed until I read HEPFAP and read the section on short- handed play. I loved the chapter "what you must realize." I used this concept at the 4 and 5 player, raising PF with all face cards, regardless of the kicker, (none of my opposition would reise PF unless they hold AA or AK.) I outplayed everyone post- flop and literally destroyed everyone's roll.

Anyway, this seems to extreme at 6 player, would you like to help me wrap my mind around the strategy adjustments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, the sooner you realize that you aren't as good as you think you are the easier it will be to learn how to play SH.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:50 PM

Thanks a lot guys.

I would like to point out that I was playing against absolutely horrible competition who was unable to adjust their game, and yes, with a bit of luck, I was able to win much more than I was entitled to. Yes, they tried to make adjustments, but that was simply calling more.

Anyway, my thinking went a bit like this. And tell me if my math is messed up here.

Conditions: My opposition is weak- tight, and unwilling to raise PF with none other than big slick and American Airlines.

So, to break even, I would need to win 1/5 hands if everyone calls and I do not raise.

With a PF raise I will only get one caller. This would now give me a 50% chance to have a good hand. The flop will hit me 35% of the time. Also note that in my PF raise, I create a bit of equity. TOP seems to go along the theory that the difference between player A and B is the amount of value gained/ lost with comparable hands. If I miss, I may or may not go to the turn, or I will simply bet out on the flop and fold my opponent.

Against this opposition, I am thinking that this strategy may be okay until they adjust. The other thing that helps out on this strategy is that even I am capable of hitting a good hand.

For more specifics of the table texture, I was in seat 1, seat two was a weak-tight, seat three was a TAG/ highly predictable, seat 4 was a loose/ passive, the guy I really wanted to destroy (I did).

Also, note that one large advantage in B&M is tells, especially if they are from here to Atlanta.

Anyway, I would like to appologize if I came across as egotistical in my post. I am a prop, and my usual way of looking at my table is that I play better than most of my opposition, and perhaps that comes across here.

I just wanted to point out my thinking on my play. I am sure you all will shake your head in disgust, but that is why I am seeking expert advice.

Excuse me while I go and shave the hair of my head.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:53 PM

Thanks for all these links, I have a feeling I won't be able to write for another two years, but hey, at least I will make more sense when I do!
Old 10-18-2005, 08:10 PM

Don't be so hard on yourself

"Good skill" at the tables,

Zach