Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Making the transition from no-limit to limit...

[ QUOTE ]
You say you like no-limit tournies, but not no-limit cash games. Honestly, and don't take this the wrong way, this suggests to me that it's possible that your no-limit game needs a lot of work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or it's possible that I don't like playing with reckless morons who read super system too many times, think they are Doyle and go all in on any 2 rags hand after hand after hand to hit miracle 2 outters for all my money... I am certainly not the only person in the world who prefers tournament NL to NL cash games... they are different animals and I hardly think it implies anything lacking in my game that I have a preference...

As I said in my initial post, I AM still working on my game.. aren't we all still working on our games? certainly you don't think u have it all figured out do you?

At any rate. I do appreciate the responses, please keep them coming, but I think I was not clear on what I was asking for here. The point of my post was not "how do I learn how to play limit?" It was "how do I make the MENTAL transition from thinking of the game in terms of no limit to thinking in terms of limit?"

Thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was "how do I make the MENTAL transition from thinking of the game in terms of no limit to thinking in terms of limit?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Get used to more suckouts on the river. It is harder to protect your hand and in multi-way pots villains often have correct odds to chase draws. This drives my NL personality crazy. I don't mind losing my stack to a river suckout as long as I got my money in as an overwhelming favorite.

Also, while table reading is important it is secondary to playing a more mathematical game. You need to exploit every +EV situation you encounter.

I am not limit expert, but Grunch, Hank and Sheridan's advice when it comes to limit should be heeded.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:40 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Or it's possible that I don't like playing with reckless morons who read super system too many times, think they are Doyle and go all in on any 2 rags hand after hand after hand to hit miracle 2 outters for all my money...

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the guys you should want in your game.

While you're learning limit, tighten up preflop until you learn more.

[ QUOTE ]
The point of my post was not "how do I learn how to play limit?" It was "how do I make the MENTAL transition from thinking of the game in terms of no limit to thinking in terms of limit?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to say, but they're right. The answer is to learn how to play the game. Understanding what you have to do differently and why. On all streets. Once you do that, the mental part takes care of itself. Usually.

I'd also echo Bobbyi's response.

b
Old 10-18-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I have had alot of difficulty in making the mental transition from NL games to limit... when I have a strong hand I find myself frustrated by the betting limit and not being able to put a good bet out to protect my hand..

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or it's possible that I don't like playing with reckless morons who read super system too many times, think they are Doyle and go all in on any 2 rags hand after hand after hand to hit miracle 2 outters

[/ QUOTE ]

You have described yourself why NL cash games are easier to win at than limit. I'm not sure why you are so gung-ho to switch. If you think suckouts only happen in NL you haven't played enough limit.

It sounds like you just have a problem with the idea of losing more than a few bucks on a single hand. This is not a good way to think when playing poker.

Not saying limit can't be a profitable game as well, but playing it just to avoid suckouts is not a valid reason IMHO.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:40 AM

I didn't mean to stress the suckouts as much as I did... my point is just that ppl just seem to play with reckless abandon... not calculated aggression... raising ridiculous amounts with ridiculous hands...

I've seen ppl all in with king high called by jack high with a 3 flush and paired board... constantly... I'm not calling (or raising) 10BB pre-flop raises with anything but a premium hand... and even if I do happen to have one, obviously more often than not I miss the flop... maybe you all are right and I don't understand the game... but I just don't think 75% of no-limit hands are supposed to end with someone all-in.. and that's what I see in the cash games online...

maybe the play is better at higher limits... but I don't have the bankroll to support that yet

anyway... since making the original post I've been playing alot of limit games... and so far the results have been good... I know I still have alot to learn... but again, that wasn't really the point of my post... I know the resources are out there and have been taking advantage of them... it was a specific question I had and it was not really addressed (though there were some good points made), but thank you all anyway for your replies...

ultimately, I just had to take time before each decision and force myself to be more disciplined than I had been... stop and ask myself if this is the right play in the right spot... it's going well so far and I'm making mostly the correct decisions... I've actually increased my bankroll 30% in just the last 3 days...

thanks again and good luck to you all
Old 10-19-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't mean to stress the suckouts as much as I did... my point is just that ppl just seem to play with reckless abandon... not calculated aggression... raising ridiculous amounts with ridiculous hands...

I've seen ppl all in with king high called by jack high with a 3 flush and paired board... constantly... I'm not calling (or raising) 10BB pre-flop raises with anything but a premium hand... and even if I do happen to have one, obviously more often than not I miss the flop... maybe you all are right and I don't understand the game... but I just don't think 75% of no-limit hands are supposed to end with someone all-in.. and that's what I see in the cash games online...

maybe the play is better at higher limits... but I don't have the bankroll to support that yet

anyway... since making the original post I've been playing alot of limit games... and so far the results have been good... I know I still have alot to learn... but again, that wasn't really the point of my post... I know the resources are out there and have been taking advantage of them... it was a specific question I had and it was not really addressed (though there were some good points made), but thank you all anyway for your replies...

ultimately, I just had to take time before each decision and force myself to be more disciplined than I had been... stop and ask myself if this is the right play in the right spot... it's going well so far and I'm making mostly the correct decisions... I've actually increased my bankroll 30% in just the last 3 days...

thanks again and good luck to you all

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of which game you choose to play, the first thing you need to do is get a better grasp of where most of the profit for winning players comes from.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:11 AM

You did take my advice the wrong way, and I'm sorry for that. I wasn't trying to insult you. I was trying to help you. I've been where you are. I used to like MTTs and dislike cash games. But I was terrible at NL then. The fact that I actually took first place in an 1800-person MTT had no bearing on my skill. I was bad, and there is enough of a luck factor in MTTs that a fish like me could get lucky.

Once my cash game started to improve, my MTT game did too. I even started to like both games more. I'm suggesting to you from personal experience that your game needs to improve, and that's why you don't like cash games. Please keep an open mind.

[ QUOTE ]
As I said in my initial post, I AM still working on my game.. aren't we all still working on our games? certainly you don't think u have it all figured out do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had read any of my posts aside from this one, I really don't think you'd ask this question. There are people even in this thread who can attest to the fact that I am very much aware that there are many weaknesses in my game.