Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Marijuana vs. cigarettes

[ QUOTE ]
Really, you're just looking for an excuse to get lit and not get fined. I lump people like you in with those who say they want legalization of weed because of old people's health problems. No one really wants it for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
meanwhile, i will continue to address my arguments to the OP...
You see, I say that because I never addressed what I said to you. Its ok, we're not all perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]
OP made it clear he doesn't smoke either one.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:36 PM

and I dosmoke it, but that doesn't mean I can't put together a cogent and coherent argument for it. and now that I think about it, no one has been able to definitively agrue against either I nor the OP. It's funny, you just hear the same old lines.

And to all the stoners out there, or anyone who has ever tried marijuana, and driven while high... am I the only one who drives much more cautiously stoned? Normally I speed, and do things a little more haphazardly, but not while stoned

but it's okay, we'll just keep these DARE programs in schools, and yet let kids watche their drunk fathers beat mom's and run over people coming home from the bars at night.

I repeat, when is the last time you heard a distressed wife calling 911 afgter her stoner husband beat her for taknig the last of the captain crunch.

come on.

its just silly rhetoric
Old 10-18-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Over half the carcinogens in marijuana

[/ QUOTE ]

My legal practice used to be in the area of asbestos law. If you don't know about asbestos, it was, generally, an insulator used, mostly between the 30's and 70's. Exposure can cause life debilitating asbestosis, where you suck wind just walking to the bathroom, to mesothelioma, a cancer that gives you a very painful and short death.

One of the clients I represented was an 18 yr old kid who had meso, and admitted to smoking pot.

To cut to the point, I sat in on the depositions of all of his doctors (and there were several) and all of them testified, under oath, that in their medical experience there was no known cause of cancer, not just meso, but any cancer, coming from the smoking of pot.

Now, the defense attorneys ran from asking more detailed questions on that, for obvious reasons, and my place was not to flesh out the true story behind pot, but it seems to me, that if there's never been cancer from pot, then i question whether there are ANY carcinogens in pot.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:52 PM

My university was lucky enough to get "medical marijuana" to run tests on in a chemistry lab.

My girlfriend was a lab tech, and she shared some things with me, one of which is the fact that the harmful chemicals found in burned marijuana are blacklisted as possible carcinogens.

However, with new research coming out depicting everything from sunrays to chocolate cake as carcinogens, you may very well be right.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

... why cigarettes are legal while marijuana is illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]
As other posters have hinted, follow the money. If you want to see who's keeping "Reefer Madness" alive, find the most vocal anti-pot organizations and politicians and find out who's funding them -- it should surprise you.

Nothing changes. Al Capone was a generous benefactor to the temperance movement.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:37 PM

Not to sound like a whiney baby, but this is so incredibly unfair.

In other news, what do you think it would take to change this?

A really really rich guy funding a campaign for it?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In other news, what do you think it would take to change this? A really really rich guy funding a campaign for it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I understand your point. Do you mean someone like George Soros? He's already committed his entire fortune to legalization.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:01 PM

I just joined the legalization bandwagon a couple of months ago, when I really started thinking about it.

So Im unaware of big players, if there are such. I was just asking what it would take to get people to take it seriously.

Apparently empirical data isn't enough.

sorry if I came off as uneducated on the subject.. but in this facet, I am. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2005, 10:30 PM

water bong is still contains resin, however there are pipes that heat up the weed releasing the active thc without all the side effects of burning it. the end effect is one joint = about 1.5 ciggs
Old 10-18-2005, 10:37 PM

Take the number that dies from drunking and driving and cut into an 1/10 that should be about right.