Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: It\'s clear I don\'t know how to play QQ

[ QUOTE ]
So please help me:

$500 max 2/3/5 10 to open at Lucky Chances, SF. I have $1300, villian has about the same. I open UTG to $35 (standard raise) with QQ and get 4 (!) callers. Villian on Button makes it $150.

I have been playing pretty LAG, raising J2s and KK the same, showing lots of weird hands, people think I can be crazy. Villain is a rock, no two ways about it. I've only seen him play back when he has a monster. Therefore, I feel that the reraise is either AA, KK or AK. I call time, think for a while and make it $400 to go. Folds to villain who calls. So now we are down to KK or AK.

Flop comes rags. With $900 left, I push. He calls with KK, I don't improve.

I'm not sure what I could have done differently preflop besides fold. And with the preflop play, I don't see how I could have played the flop differently! Help!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you have two things you could have down differently to avoid going broke in this situation. The more obvious one is not re-raising the "rock" which is usually not a good thing, which put too big a portion of your stack away to get away from the hand when the flop comes rags. Another thing that some may or may not agree with me is that I like checking the flop and seeing what he does. Im not sure of your reading abilities or how much you know about this guy, thats just my opinion. I dont think he would have pushed to hard with something like AK when the flop is rags, but if he pushed realy hard, than you would prolly know that your beat considering he is protecting against the Ace.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
deep stacks, QQ against a homosexual nit
your hand is radioactive

[/ QUOTE ]

not that there's anything wrong with being a nit.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:51 AM

suppose you're right and he does have AK PF. may i suggest that you make it more to go before the flop? youre making him pay 400 in position at an 800 pot.

but you did say you know he was a rock. who 3 bet into an EP raise and 4 calls. and calls your bet in position. and hes a rock. and you said hes a rock.

i also suggest clearing your head if you need to. you did hear bells ringing, next time adhere.

-lurk
Old 10-17-2005, 11:26 AM

Call his pre-flop raise hit a Q put him all-in. Other wise fold flop, I muck face up and offer him $25 to see his cards and before you see them annouce it is either AA/KK. No way is this guy raising AK here.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:16 PM

One poster said it best - listen to the alarm bells in your head. He's a rockity rock rock, you know what he has so take advantage of it - don't reraise preflop, see what the flop brings and stack him if you hit your set.

One of the biggest advantages a thinking player has against a rock is u can know exactly which cards he has and use that information to your advantage - here you knew, but didn't use it.

Also, a psych trick I'll use sometimes is to devalue my hand - having QQ is the same as having 44 or 22 vs. kings or aces - view it as such. Would you reraise that much with 44? I dunno, I find it helps me to put it into perspective.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:19 PM

You explained it yourself. You messed up. You know what you have to do . You didnt do it. Learn from this and fold next time. Rocks are rocks. I hate the push postflop even more than the call PF.....