Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Possibly dumb question about preflop equity and potsize manipulation.

[ QUOTE ]
You're 90% sure that means he has AA

[/ QUOTE ]

90%??? I'd say thats a bit extreme but I understand your reasoning for the purposes of this thread. I've been pondering this question all day long, and I'd have to say I wouldn't raise any hands at all. Conversely I'd prefer to limp with any suited connector or pocket pair, although I'd feel better with a hand such as JTs. Interestingly enough against 5 random opponents and Jason, QQ has nearly the same equity as a had such as QJs.

Keep the pot small, wait for the flop to take action. Most likely Jason will bet out, I like our position a lot if we connect.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Possibly dumb question about preflop equity and potsize manipulati

I think the equity you would be pushing 7-9 ways preflop isnt really enough to raise vs. calling and having a smaller pot to deal with. I would raise AA-QQ and AKs and the likes.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Possibly dumb question about preflop equity and potsize manipulation.

Didn't Baron discuss this in a similar thread?

On a loosey goosey LHE table, I want to raise any hand that's going to play well in a multiway big pot and limp hands that play best against fewer opponents.

I'm raising AKs>98s, pp7^, one suited gappers AQ>J9, maybe two suited gappers KT>Q9.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:32 AM

90% sure: i'm not raising anything. the pot is big enough already if i flop a strong draw and no matter how big the pot is, it isn't big enough to see the turn with my pocket pair if i don't hit my set. if jason bets out, i have a lot of loosies padding the pot by calling here.

the only reason to raise is the possibility that jason will simply call and check to me on the flop allowing me to see a cheap turn card.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't Baron discuss this in a similar thread?

On a loosey goosey LHE table, I want to raise any hand that's going to play well in a multiway big pot and limp hands that play best against fewer opponents.

I'm raising AKs>98s, pp7^, one suited gappers AQ>J9, maybe two suited gappers KT>Q9.

[/ QUOTE ]

AKs does well in multiway pots but loses a lot of value once another opponent picks up AA. I'd raise any suited connector that doesn't contain an Ace.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:45 AM

Interesting question. I think I'm raising suited non-ace connectors + any pocket pair. Reason is if I hit on the flop I can easily make back my 8.5:1; we'll probably have 5-7 people to the flop as is. The major advantage here is we know we're good when we make our set but he doesn't.

If we're 90 % sure he has aces then we call down if we make our set and an ace hits on the flop (or maybe we're really nitty and we fold [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ) Otherwise we hit the miracle flop and make tons of money and get drawn out on the river and throw cards and the game becomes that much better. Everyone wins!
Old 10-17-2005, 10:47 AM

I may be wrong, but the only hands I'm "happy" about, in this situation, assuming 90% sure that Jason is LRR'ing w/ AA, is J10s - 87s. Even still, if there are 5 limpers between us, I think I'm more likely to call, let Jason raise, let the 5 limpers throw in that extra bet, then 3-bet. Jason will likely cap. Depending on the 5 players, you "may" or may not lose a few of your other limpers when he does, but you've created a pot set up for you to either play your draw through, or get out if completely missed.

Thoughts?
Old 10-17-2005, 10:59 AM

If I were 90% sure UTG was waiting to LRR, there isn't much I'd raise. And with the particular field you describe, I'm pretty sure there's nothing I'd raise.

After reading through the replies to thread, though, I'd like to make a couple of comments:
1) The worse your opponents play postflop, the less value there is in bloating the pot preflop. Even if you didn't think that UTG had a big hand, raising with small/medium pairs and smallish suited connectors isn't correct here.

2) The number of people who would rather have JTs than, say, KQs, is always amazing to me.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm more likely to call, let Jason raise, let the 5 limpers throw in that extra bet, then 3-bet

[/ QUOTE ]

Jason is UTG. Might be hard for him to raise if you're just calling like everyone else. Other than that I probably agree, though I still like the idea of raising pps.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:22 PM

Suited connectors down to 87s?